Want to Try BIAB have BeerSmith question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
I want to try BIAB for my next beer, but wondering how to set up the equipment and mash profile to fit what im going to do. I have a 7 gal pot and want to do a 5 gal batch so was planning to do 5 gal mash then add water afterwards to bring back up to desired preboil volume of 6-6.5 gals. How exactly should I set that up in Beersmith to make my recipes accurate. Heres what im currently doing but getting weird numbers on the mash profile:

Equipment:
efficiency 73% (figured good starting estimate based on what ive read here will adjust with batchs)
MashTun Volume- 5 gal
MashTun weight- 2.2 lb
Mash Tun speicific heat- 0.12 Cal/gram-deg C
Lauter Tun Deadspace- 0.0 gal

Boiler:
Top Up Water-2 gal
boil Time- 60 min
Boil Off- 0.75 gal
Cooling Shrinkage - 4%

Fermenter:
Standard data not worried about that stuff

Mash Profile Im using the default BIAB, Medium Body

So when I go to the recipe it says I need 9.15 gal for Mash Volume Needed, how do I adjust this

You can create your own mash profile that adds a step of a water infusion.

I don't know how you would set it up though.

is this under the water volumes tab? i would think you would want to adjust the "kettle top up volume" since you're determining the pre-boil volume. the "top up volume" is for bringing your wort up to the desired volume in the fermenter before pitching the yeast.

Have you set up your own equipment profile? There is alot that can be personalized and a tutorial for it somewhere in the help section.

Thanks, I think i figured it out, I had the top up in there, apparently it just hadnt refreshed with the changes so its looking pretty accurate, gonna try out a recipe next week so well see if its accurate.

The first time I used beersmith for my biab batch I had something wrong because I ended up with 7 gallons instead of 6. So what I did was use a formula for my starting water and made sure my beersmith settings matched. (I'm still learning beersmith and allgrain brewing)

I started with my final batch size
+ my boil off (which is 1.5 gallons for a 60 min boil in my keggle regardless of how much liquid is in it)
+ grain absorption (I used .06 gallons times number of pounds of grain)

Using this formula my final wort going into the fermenter came out exactly.

Now I just need to work on my efficiency...

Thats about the same as I got, my beersmith says the same, I think I have it worked out, im using 0.71 for grain absorption, but because im doing a sparge afterwards Im going to top it back up to my preboil amount which for a 5gal batch needs to be about 6.5 so grain absorption isnt too important to me right now, just making sure i can get the original gravity right

Now I just need to work on my efficiency...

If you can find a method to either minimize or eliminate top up water it might help, perhaps a dunk sparge, or sprinkling water over the grain bag. I would at least max out your mash volume up to the top of the kettle, thereby minimizing top up water.

Also look closely at your crush.:mug:

Hmm, great idea to rinse the grain bag. I never thought of that.

I wonder of I kept my starting water short by a gallon or gallon and a half and then had that water in a separate bucket, maybe I could dunk the grain bag in the bucket of clean water to extract any residual sugars. Then after adding that water to the boil kettle I would be at my pre boil volume with max efficiency.

Does this sound viable?

It sure does but make sure you have a large enough bucket. I used my 20qt (5 gallon) boil kettle and put in about 1 1/2 gallons of water and when I added the bag of grains it overflowed. Now i put the bag of grain in first and then add the water.

Oh ok. Then it also lets the water run through the grains to rinse them. Thanks for the advice.

Back