Want to go all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topdog149

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok brothers and sisters I want to go all grain since space is limited biab small batches 1 to 2 gallon. Now my question is is there a calculator out there where I input batch size and it pops in how much of what I need for example I punch in a one gallon double chocolate coffee stout and it gives me you need x amount of xyz.

Not aware of one that does that, but if you input a normal 5 gallon recipe into Brewer's Friend, you can use Recipe Tools and it will scale it to whatever size batch you want to make. I would make a suggestion and change the units for hops from ounces to grams.

Not aware of one that does that, but if you input a normal 5 gallon recipe into Brewer's Friend, you can use Recipe Tools and it will scale it to whatever size batch you want to make. I would make a suggestion and change the units for hops from ounces to grams.
Thanks for the info

Exactly. Know of nothing where you enter a type of brew you want and a recipe pops up.

Most any brewing software or app will allow you to scale the recipe to a chosen size. Many are free and still perform well. They may help in formulating your own recipes when you are ready

There are plenty of sites that have recipes. You can usually select the style and even type of brew (extract, all grain) to get a list of recipes that fit your search. Some will even search for specific ingredients included in the recipes.

Exactly. Know of nothing where you enter a type of brew you want and a recipe pops up.

Most any brewing software or app will allow you to scale the recipe to a chosen size. Many are free and still perform well. They may help in formulating your own recipes when you are ready

There are plenty of sites that have recipes. You can usually select the style and even type of brew (extract, all grain) to get a list of recipes that fit your search. Some will even search for specific ingredients included in the recipes.
Thanks for the info

+ for Beersmith. It can scale recipes, but can be a bit of a learning curve as there are a lot of variables in equipment to dial in so that the output is accurate since everyone's setup works differently. At least there is a 30 day trial you can use for BeerSmith 3 to test

Back