Want to go AG, MLT question???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I beleive SWMBO gave me the go ahead to start aquiring my AG equip. I want to make an MLT out of a coleman extreme cooler, however, since I have not brewed AG I am unfamiliar with how large the cooler needs to be. The 5 day extreme coolers, come in a 36qt (9 gallon) and 52 qt (13 gallon) sizes, I don't think I would need anything larger. Right now all I do is 5 gallon extract batches, but siince I am going all grain, I may be interested in making the occasional 10 gallon batch.

Would the 36 qt be sufficent for a 10 gallon batch?

Or, would I be better of getting the 52 qt?

If I did get the 52 qt and I wanted to brew only a 5 gallon batch would that create an issue with heat retention because of the larger amount of headspace?

What would be the best way to go?

Does anyone have any good advice or better ideas?

Go bigger if you plan on doing 10-gallon batches. You can minimize the deadspace issue by cutting a piece of foam insulation to stick on or near the top of the mash with smaller grain bills. The smaller MLT might cut it close on those batches with big grain bills.

Here's a hand calculator for figuring out your mash volume. You may have seen it before, it is referenced here quite a bit. Scroll down to Can I Mash It.

Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

Thank you, it apears that even 15 lbs of grain w/1.25 qts/lb of water would work with the 36 qt cooler, I just don't wan to get into a situation where I have to purchase a larger mash tun.

I have the Coleman Extreme 70qt with a Bazooka Screen and I love it. I have used #17 of grain for an Arrogant Bastard Clone and there was plenty of room left over.

When you do an all grain process the incremental cost to work is very small, you will probably start going to 10 gallon very soon. I personally would buy for a 10g barleywine and never look back.

I have a 60qt from sams and it's perfect.

My 70 qt holds 17.5 gallons, based on my 5 gallon batches I think it could handle a 10 gallon barley wine. It holds temps very well, even for just 5 gallon batches...no problems here. Got mine at Walmart for $37 I think.

Another 70qt XTreme owner here. Most people I've talked to felt it was very easy to go from 5gal to 10gal batches fairly easily with the cooler and 2 keggles. I couldn't resist saying no, and I haven't looked back.

Yeah, you think you'll stick to 5 gallon batches.... then you'll realize you can buy a 55# bag of grain for 30-45 bucks and that'll cut down your cost... soon enough you'll be buying bulk hops and realizing that you can make 10 gallon batches of good, mid-gravity batches for about 30 dollars tops.....

Trust us when we say, you'll wanna do 10 gallon batches. Go for the big cooler.

The way I look at it, if you do go 10 gallon, it will likely be for moderate gravity beers. Once you decide to make an imperial something or barleywine, you'll likely be happy with 5 gallons at a time there. A 10 gallon or 48-52qt cooler is pretty good.

The way I look at it, if you do go 10 gallon, it will likely be for moderate gravity beers. Once you decide to make an imperial something or barleywine, you'll likely be happy with 5 gallons at a time there. A 10 gallon or 48-52qt cooler is pretty good.

I'm with Bobby on this one. I really can't ever imagine brewing 10 gallons of a barleywine.

That said, I used a 5 gallon cylindrical cooler for the better half of a year because I had it on hand and wasn't buying twice. When the 10 gallon Rubbermaids went on sale locally a month or so ago, I upgraded.

Thanks Bobby M! That was the answer I was looking for. I will go with the coleman xtreme 52 qt, Like I said it was between that and and the 36, I know to always go larger, but my concern was increased headspace and heat loss due to the smaller volume of a 5 gallon batch, but I do want to be equipped to do a 10 gallon batch once I dial my AG process in.

Now just to get some steel braiding and a SS ball valve and I will be well on my way to equipment gathering :D

Back