Want to get into kegging, need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sago

Reaction score
I don't have anything bought or setup yet, I used to do everything naturally in the past and want to get back into it again. I've never filtered my stuff or kegged it, so would I need a fridge for a keg? Would it go bad if I never refrigerated the keg?

The things I'll need are co2 tank, filter system\pump, keg, taps, fridge (if needed). I was told by one of the employees to get a fridge for a keg if I we're to do it or it'll go bad but I was skeptical of him trying to sell for his own profit. Is this true? I've had natural carbonation over months no problem in the bottles, yet in the keg its bad? It'll be stored in the basement, and to be safe on the concrete in the cold storage room. so slightly lower temperature than room. Sure I'll be left out with room temperature beer until I figure out the costs to make my own refrigerator cheaper. I'm on a budget here

I have 12 corney kegs and only three are in keezer for serving. I keep the kegs at 15 psi and it carbs at about 2.4 volumes. I serve at 10-12 psi. They store fine. Enjoy the hobby. Once you see how easy it is to fill, carb and use kegs you will never want to clean all those botttles again unless you have thirsty friends who enjoy liquid treats.

You can natural carb your beer in a keg just like you did with your bottles, you will need to have CO2 to set/seal the lid when it is first filled. Leave it warm for a couple weeks before putting in your basement and it will be fine.

If you are not too picky I would bet you can find a fridge for free if you look hard enough.

You dont need a filter, just allow the beer to sit for a while or use gelatin and it will clear by itself. Not sure what you would do with a pump, but it is not needed.

Piggy backing on this thread because I am in the exact same situation as the OP, getting ready to start kegging.

Is counter pressure bottle filling as difficult as it sometimes sounds? Or once you get it, it's much less variable than bottle conditioning?

Piggy backing on this thread because I am in the exact same situation as the OP, getting ready to start kegging.

Is counter pressure bottle filling as difficult as it sometimes sounds? Or once you get it, it's much less variable than bottle conditioning?

This is a simple counter pressure type filling technique that works fine.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24678

There is extra messing around to fill bottles from a keg, it is not too bad for a few bottles but if your plan is to keg then transfer it to bottles, I would just bottles condition and skip the keg.

Counter pressure bottling is pretty straight forward. You just need to have a splitter on the co2 regulator. I process approx. 10x 22oz bottles per keg and then leave the rest on tap. Just make sure you let the beer fully carb before bottling if you force carbonate. Bottling too early will give you a flatish beers in the bottle

Just decide how many beers you want carbonated at one time. I started with 2, then just waited for ball locks to go one sale. You can either use a chest freezer, but would need temperature controller or a refrigerator. Check Craig's List for cheap refrigerators or use a dorm fridge to fit a couple of kegs in there.

And like ba-brewer state, you do not need a filter or a pump. Just siphon from your carboy or your bucket into a keg. If you want to naturally carb, then put your priming sugar in then siphon your beer into your keg. Pressure it enough to seal the lid, then let sit. At this point it does not need to be refrigerated while naturally carbing. After about 10 days, chill it down, set your pressure to 10 - 12, then pour yourself a cold one.

I got into kegging because I did not want sediment in the bottom of my bottles. It's not hard bo bottle from a keg, using the approach listed by BA-BREWER above. When I have a few I want to fill, it's how I do it. Pic of mine shown below--I use a piece of tubing that fits over the picnic tap, and it creates counterpressure that keeps foam down.

IMO, just get started. Every concern you have can be managed or isn't as big a deal as might be expected. I bought a tank, regulator (don't get the cheapest--Taprite is good), keg, picnic tap on a quick disconnect, tubing from regulator to gas quick disconnect, and I was in business!

I bought a used fridge to keep it in, tank, regulator, keg and all, and it served wonderfully well from that.

So--if I were going to start, here's what I'd get:

Tapright two-gauge regulator
5# or more CO2 tank
Keg (Morebeer's Torpedo Kegs are terrific--I have three)
Tubing/quick disconnect from regulator to keg "In" post
Picnic tap on quick disconnect for keg "Out" post.

stopperfiller.jpg

You really should have a fridge or chest freezer. Talk to people you know and keep and eye out. You should be able to get something for free or really inexpensively.

That is how I got started kegging. A lady at work didn't want her old chest freezer anymore.

When that one died I posted on my local Facebook group that I needed a used fridge or freezer. Well, that one didn't go as well... the fridge was old and only got down to 50F or so... (but it made a good ferm chamber for awhile!) Lesson learned; even though it's free make sure they have it plugged in when you get there and be willing to say "no thank you".

Anyway, I'd say that if you are on a budget the refrigeration part is something that you can save some money on.

Back