Want to experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyD

Reaction score
I'm bored and want to try a basic beer to sour. I have Willamette hops and us-05 yeast, so just need the grains. Only doing 1 gallon, with a sour mash. I have been wreaking my brain trying to figure out what to do. Thinking of using Maris Otter for a base malt, but not sure what else. I also want it to be a big beer. Some place around 8% abv. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

I should add that I am open to style, but nothing with wheat. For some reason wheat beers give me nasty headaches. Thinking of an american ale or brown ale.

Possible wheat allergy??

Try it with just Maris Otter. The sour aspect should give enough of an interesting flavor in itself. If you want some color add around 10% crystal malt to it.

Possible wheat allergy??

Try it with just Maris Otter. The sour aspect should give enough of an interesting flavor in itself. If you want some color add around 10% crystal malt to it.

I thought it was an allergy too, but I don't have any issues with bread or other wheat products. Just beer.

I was thinking about the same thing: just mo, with caramel 40l.

I thought it was an allergy too, but I don't have any issues with bread or other wheat products. Just beer.

I was thinking about the same thing: just mo, with caramel 40l.

It could have something to do with the particular esters that the hefe yeast put out. This is assuming you're talking hefweizen type beers. If something like an american wheat also does it then disregard.

I would recommend souring with a know culture rather than with grain. Make the wort you want, boil for a few minutes, cool, add lacto source, maintain around 90 to 100 F for about 7 days (until it is as sour as you want), then add yeast and aerate. You will be drinking it in 6 weeks.

For a lacto source, you could use a commercial brand, but it may be cheaper to use some live probiotics tablets.

Do not use any hops in the wort. Some lacto strains will not work if there is even a 'sniff' of hops present. I like to use dry hops to give a hop presence.

If you use a homo-fermentative lacto, you can boil the wort between souring and adding yeast, at which time you can add hops as you like. If you use a hetero-fermentative strain, boiling will boil off the alcohol created by the lacto.

I would recommend souring with a know culture rather than with grain. Make the wort you want, boil for a few minutes, cool, add lacto source, maintain around 90 to 100 F for about 7 days (until it is as sour as you want), then add yeast and aerate. You will be drinking it in 6 weeks.

For a lacto source, you could use a commercial brand, but it may be cheaper to use some live probiotics tablets.

Do not use any hops in the wort. Some lacto strains will not work if there is even a 'sniff' of hops present. I like to use dry hops to give a hop presence.

If you use a homo-fermentative lacto, you can boil the wort between souring and adding yeast, at which time you can add hops as you like. If you use a hetero-fermentative strain, boiling will boil off the alcohol created by the lacto.

MTF member?

@CoreyD this is good advice here. Read more about it over at milk the funk. Lacto plantarum is a great lacto culture that's available in a probiotic source.

MTF member?

@CoreyD this is good advice here. Read more about it over at milk the funk. Lacto plantarum is a great lacto culture that's available in a probiotic source.

This is exactly what I had planned. I am an avid fan of the sour hour podcast, and milk the funk. My plan is to use a probiotic to sour, either in a sour mash, or I'm thinking of doing a sour wort instead. I have done a sour mash and had good drinkable beer in 4 weeks. Was even better after 2 months in bottle. But it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I used WLP 630, but did not quite get the sour mash right. It was my second batch ever, so for it to be drinkable was a plus. Looking forward to trying something new, to see what results I get.

I found this write up and thought it would be fun to try.
http://www.notsoprofessionalbeer.com/2013/09/brewing-with-yogurt.html

Back