Want to clarify problems with using steamer basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeeppilot

Reaction score
I've been brewing 5 and 10 gallon AG batches for a couples years but am new to BIAB. I plan to start making 1-3 gallon test batches, direct fired, using this method.

I'm looking at this pot.

Bayou Classic 1124 24-Quart All Purpose Stainless Steel Stockpot with Steam and Boil Basket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FTHX8S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The basket provides 2-3" of lift above the bottom of the kettle. I DO plan on full volume mashes, and I DON'T plan to recirc at this time, but my larger setup will easily accommodate it should I decide to go that route.

My question is, what exactly are the problems people have with drainage and or recirc problems using this type of basket? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the 60qt version of this. No issues recirculating. Just throttle back to maybe 10% and use a good bit of rice hulls. I did enlarge some of the holes but not many.

There may be 4-6 quarts below the basket, With a 1 gallon batch that is a substantial quantity to have outside the bag IMO.

I prefer no basket full volume mash for this reason.

There may be 4-6 quarts below the basket, With a 1 gallon batch that is a substantial quantity to have outside the bag IMO.

I prefer no basket full volume mash for this reason.

I had that though too after posting this and ran some quick measurements and I probably can't get this one after all. 1 gallon batches with full volume mash probably wouldn't even fully cover the grain at that height.

I guess I'm looking for the best solution to keeping the grain bag off the bottom for when I add heat to the MT. I may just use my 10 gal kettle and find a wire rack/pizza pan option.

You can add heat gently and stir with just a bag and a pot.

Don't try and over complicate it...if you strike at the right temp, you may not have to add heat at all.

Or better yet, a smaller pot may fit in a pre warmed oven to maintain mash temp. This works a charm for small batches.

Simple BIAB works very well...bag, pot and a heat source is all you need w a little experience.

Back