Wallet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've carried this one 27 years. My grandma brought it back from a Reservation in Arizona. It's gotten to where cards fall out. I have to make sure I pocket it right side up or the cards fall out when I take it out. I've had to pick up my stuff a few times and I'm going to lose something.

There are a lot of wallet reinventions these days. Some look cool. Some look gimmicky. My present wallet is just over 3cm thick with not a lot in it; six plastic cards, three paper cards, a key, a few bills, some receipts. I don't want anything thicker and prefer something thinner. Don't know if I like these money clip on the outside wallets. Never used a money clip. Phone case wallets are attractive, but one day I'll get a new phone, and since we can't seem to make a phone the same size from one model to the next, I'll wind up needing a new wallet. Nah, man. I'm looking for another 20+ year wallet.

Gimme some ideas.

Attachments

• Wallet.jpg
    Wallet.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 197
I buy the cheapest cloth and velcro ones available. I don't get 27 years out of them but consistently over 10. I think I have only had 3 or 4. I didn't start carrying a wallet until well into my 20's.

Bifold, NO picture things. Dollar clip inside.

Put your library card, AAA card, etc in the old wallet and leave it in your locked glove compartment. ONLY carry the bare necessities.

I can't tolerate a fat wallet. I use this one. I don't recommend it, but it's pretty close to perfect for me.

I have no use for a thin wallet. I have had this wallet for decades...

Wallet.jpg Wallet2.jpg Wallet2.jpg

Attachments

• Wallet3.jpg
    Wallet3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 156
Great ideas here. I used to use a binder clip. I have a wallet now but that was supposed to be so I didn't trash the mag strip. My cards don't work any better with a wallet.

My wife got me a Ridge wallet last Christmas after we saw it promoted on a Youtube video. I really like it and it made me reconsider what I really need to carry.

I love Trayvax wallets. I have been using an Element for about 5 years now and it’s barely showing any signs of wear. This will easily be a 20+ year wallet. I usually carry 7 plastic cards and some cash on me and full, it comes in at 0.6” (under 2cm) thick. I highly recommend checking them out.

https://www.trayvax.com/collections/wallets-all

IMG_1904.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

Bifold, NO picture things. Dollar clip inside.

Put your library card, AAA card, etc in the old wallet and leave it in your locked glove compartment. ONLY carry the bare necessities.

I can't tolerate a fat wallet. I use this one. I don't recommend it, but it's pretty close to perfect for me.

Woops, I forgot to attach link. BTW, video says there is no RFID blocking, but there is now.

https://www.distilunion.com/collect...s/products/wally-bifold?variant=6851039363129

Who carries their wallet in their back pocket? I see all these YouTube reviews with people talking about carrying wallets in their back pockets. Oh this one is a great back pocket wallet. No it's not. One, it's asking for butt and back pain. Two, it's inviting pick pockets. Three, it's a good way to lose it.

Oh but this one is made for front pocket carry. Uh. That's all wallets. That's where you're supposed to carry a wallet. And yes, I've seen these so called "cowboy wallets". These long wallets that no horse no cow cowboys walk around with begging to picked right off them. No thanks.

And most of these new fangaled wallets are not wallets. They're card holders. I don't want to fold my money in two or three to put it in my "wallet". I sure dont want to do that and then strap it to the outside of my wallet. Nor do I want to unfold and flash all my cash each time I want to pay for something. It's just inappropriate.

I swear. I'm either going to repair whut I have now, get another as close to it as I can find, or just carry a damn purse. I already carry one on the bike because I don't like having things, mainly my phone or a knife, in my pocket on the highway. And I have stuff to carry back and forth to work. Any stuff I need to carry goes in a bag and into a pannier. That said, the scratches on the buttons are from a slide. Better that than my leg.

And I'm posting this letting the videos play. It's on to EDC. 90% of this is dumb. Why do I need a $30 leather sheath for my pocket knife in my pocket? It's a pocket knife. Just put it in your pocket! This is some tacticool bull.

And these key carrier things. Whut the?? You can't put smart keys and fobs in these these things. My key ring is a snap clip and split ring off a spill containment roll.

And these junk multi tools. Especially the card tools. Look. I'm a fan of multi tools. Leatherman, Swiss Army, and I'll concede Gerber as third place. That's it. After that, it's all just the wrong tool for the job.

Okay. I can't watch any more of this.

I've have the same Dockers tri-fold for 20 years now. Not sure what I would get if this one decides to die. I'm a back pocket carrier. I'm married so it won't get thick enough to cause back/butt pain. I can't imagine front pocket carry as I have keys in one and phone in the other.

Who carries their wallet in their back pocket? I see all these YouTube reviews with people talking about carrying wallets in their back pockets. Oh this one is a great back pocket wallet. No it's not. One, it's asking for butt and back pain. Two, it's inviting pick pockets. Three, it's a good way to lose it.

Oh but this one is made for front pocket carry. Uh. That's all wallets. That's where you're supposed to carry a wallet. And yes, I've seen these so called "cowboy wallets". These long wallets that no horse no cow cowboys walk around with begging to picked right off them. No thanks.

And most of these new fangaled wallets are not wallets. They're card holders. I don't want to fold my money in two or three to put it in my "wallet". I sure dont want to do that and then strap it to the outside of my wallet. Nor do I want to unfold and flash all my cash each time I want to pay for something. It's just inappropriate.

I swear. I'm either going to repair whut I have now, get another as close to it as I can find, or just carry a damn purse. I already carry one on the bike because I don't like having things, mainly my phone or a knife, in my pocket on the highway. And I have stuff to carry back and forth to work. Any stuff I need to carry goes in a bag and into a pannier. That said, the scratches on the buttons are from a slide. Better that than my leg.

And I'm posting this letting the videos play. It's on to EDC. 90% of this is dumb. Why do I need a $30 leather sheath for my pocket knife in my pocket? It's a pocket knife. Just put it in your pocket! This is some tacticool bull.

And these key carrier things. Whut the?? You can't put smart keys and fobs in these these things. My key ring is a snap clip and split ring off a spill containment roll.

And these junk multi tools. Especially the card tools. Look. I'm a fan of multi tools. Leatherman, Swiss Army, and I'll concede Gerber as third place. That's it. After that, it's all just the wrong tool for the job.

Okay. I can't watch any more of this.

I carried a wallet in my right back pocket for years. Until a few years ago when I developed a pinched sciatic nerve due to my spine starting to curve. Could barely walk. Just from years of sitting on that damn wallet. A few months of treatment from a good chiro, and I was back to normal. And the chiro told me to start carying the wallet in a front pocket. Less chance of pickpocketing, too.

BTW, I have a nylon Eagle Creek bifold I've carried around for well over 10 years and I expect it to last another 10. Not a single stitch has come undone.

Big folding wallets just don't fit well in a front pocket.

I got a wallet like this when going to Europe as I traditionally carried a back pocket wallet and wanted to move it to the front pocket after hearing all about pickpockets. And I wanted something a little bit more minimalist.

Per your second paragraph above, maybe it's not for you. But I really like it and don't plan on going back to a "traditional" wallet.

I front carry my wallet. I found the front pockets have more room than the back pockets of my jeans, shorts, and business slacks. Plus, I do not want to sit on the wallet!

I have no use for fancy key carriers...

Keys Pic.jpg

This wallet is sewn up nice. Each stitch has a loop at the base. There's probably a name for that. I worked the stitches tighter using tweezers and put a little drop of super glue (the leather worker who made this probably felt that disturbance in the force) where some stitches had broken on the card pocket. Nice and tight now. We shall see.

Thanks for the ideas.

I didn't realize that wallets were so controversial... Leave it up to HBT to open another can of worms.

I couldn't stand to put my wallet in my front pocket. I'm definitely a back pocket carrier but I never sit on it. I always take it out when driving, at a restaurant etc. On usual days I have my wallet in my work backpack.

It's a small wallet so it sits deep in the pocket making it difficult for pickpockets.

I rarely have cash these days. Why? Street drugs? If I do I have a separate money clip I carry in my front pocket.

I realize now I'm a sitting duck for a thief on this thread.

Found him. Found the guy from the review videos driving around with his wallet on the dashboard of his vintage beemer to go sip water with no ice and eat soggy asparagus at the hip outdoor cafe with his wallet artfully perched on the corner of a wire leg table. And here I thought it was all made up for marketing.

And yes street drugs. Which I buy from bandit camps. In lawless post apocalyptic realities. Lots of crime there. Whut with them being bandits and all.

Akshully, from the Wally Wallet, linked in the thread,
4. Carry less cash While having some paper money on you is a good idea in general, unless you're doing something on the shady side there's no reason to carry a wad of cash on your person daily.

Ha!

Latest posts

Back