Wakatu hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck137

Reaction score
I was trying to get some input on another section on Wakatu hops with little luck so I thought maybe I should just post it in this section with a more general question.

Anyone used Wakatu hops in a lager? How much in a 20 liter batch? 1 ounce to bitter + 1 ounce at flame out?

Opinions in general out there on these hops? Cheers!

I got some once as a judging door prize. Hadn't used them before, but tossed them in as a dry hop. Hallertau (noble spicy herbal) plus lime is a pretty accurate description. They're more akin to a noble hop than they are to the more typical tropical Aussie/Kiwi hop profile. I'd think they'd go well in something where you want noble hop character plus a unique twist.

I would treat them just like you would noble hops, reduced for the higher AA. I'd leave the late hop additions around the same size you normally would, just reduce the bittering hops as necessary. As far as actual amount, well that depends on what you're going for. Unless you're going for a Pils, 1 oz bittering may be a bit much depending on your AA, and unless you're going to do a hopstand maybe another 15 minute addition.

Back