Waiting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenjiBat

Reaction score
Brewed my very first homebrew, an amber ale about 4 weeks ago. It's had 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary and 1 week so far in bottles. It's driving me crazy to wait on it to bottle condition, I'm planning on one more week before I taste it. Got so antsy I picked up a 1 gallon glass fermentor and started a small batch of cider this week, now I can't wait to try that and it's not helping my impatience, gah, what to do! Now I'm getting ideas for further experiments in my 1 gallon setup, like coconut cider. Well anyway, I think all this means I am hooked on the hobby, it's got me by the throat and can't wait to brew another 5 gallon batch of beer.

Dude, I recommend your patience. But may I make a suggestion of JUST TRY 1. You will still have 50+ bottles left. You may be surprised at how fast it conditioned. They maybe fully carbed by now.

patience is probably the hardest part about starting this life it seems. but it's welllllllll worth it. Revvy mentions it as being vital in pretty much every step along the way, and if you've poked around here as much as the rest of us newbs have, you've probably already noticed that the dude is like the yoda of brewing. I feel ya on that hating the waiting bit. At least you've done the right thing and started filling up the pipeline ;)

That being said, I'm gonna second what shane said. Try one. At this stage in your knowledge and learning, it can only help. Don't have expectations. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't match what you thought it was going to be. It's not time yet. But it's like cooking. taste it, smell it, watch it, through every step of it's lifetime. Learn how it works throughout the process from brew to bottle to peak and prime. I've done that in my very limited experience and I feel as though it's paid off. Once you see the process through and experience at all stages, you are MUCH more easily to follow that wonderful hitchhiker's guide advice of don't panic.

+1 - the just try one idea. If this is your first batch it will also give you a better understanding of how the beer evolves over time. I still give some of my beers a try after only a week in the bottle just to see where they are. I've yet to have Beer PD show up an issue a citation. LOL Go for it.

Oh... as an after thought... I made an (all grain) Magic Hat #9 clone last year that was very good after 6 days in the bottle. It got better over the next few weeks but it was still good.

But may I make a suggestion of JUST TRY 1. You will still have 50+ bottles left. You may be surprised at how fast it conditioned.

Yeah, why punish yourself? I'm drinking a brew that's only been in the bottle about 1 week and it tastes great. More than that, it's an extremely satisfying experience.

Alright, I'm drinking my first bottle of my first home brewed beer, it's very good, not quite carbonated yet but I can taste the flavors thru the little carbonation it has, and this is going to be fantastic in another week or two. Thanks for the advice. It's a very thick beer, I know it's not filtered at all but this stuff is much thicker than I'd expect. Maybe due to some suspended yeast as it bottle conditions. I'll probably try out some irish moss in my next batch. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back