w00t! 1st All-Grain day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwagner23

Reaction score
Well I finished my first all-grain. After two years of extract I finally took the plunge and I must say it was a success!

It was just a plain pale ale:
9lb 2 Row US
1lb Crystal 20L
2oz of Cascade (60 min)
1oz of Williamette (5 min)

Hit my mash temp of 153 right on the nose and only lost 1 degree for the 60 minutes. Final volume was a bit under 5 gallons, soI topped off to 5.25 and that probably caused my OG to be a bit low at 1.049.

It was a hot day with temps reaching 103 on my patio, but I really REALLY enjoyed it.

Well I finished my first all-grain. After two years of extract I finally took the plunge and I must say it was a success!

It was just a plain pale ale:
9lb 2 Row US
1lb Crystal 20L
2oz of Cascade (60 min)
1oz of Williamette (5 min)

Hit my mash temp of 153 right on the nose and only lost 1 degree for the 60 minutes. Final volume was a bit under 5 gallons, soI topped off to 5.25 and that probably caused my OG to be a bit low at 1.049.

It was a hot day with temps reaching 103 on my patio, but I really REALLY enjoyed it.

Congratulations...all grain is a big step and worth it...you will have so much more control on your recipes!

Congrats! I brewed in the garage yesterday and it was hot as hell! Hope fermentation goes just as smooth. What are you going to brew next?

i cant wait. limited space now, but im getting creative and gunna go 4 it soon. let me know how ur recipe turns out. sounds simple and basic, a good starting point. and it sounds yummmmy

rwagner23 said:

There's only one problem with this. You're going to want to brew a lot more :p

Glad your first AG went well. I'm raising my glass of Smuttynose Robust Porter to you good sir and wish you many more a successful brew day!

Congrats!
I've just started into the whole all grain addiction and have brewed up three batches in the past month. A steam beer, cream ale and brown ale. They were all "kits" from ihomebrewing.ca that had all the grain, hops and yeast you need. For my next two batches I'm going to try a porter recipe and Hobgoblin clone I got off them internets.
I'm starring to realize that brewing all grain could potentially be a lifelong journey to amass all of the equipment I'd ideally like to have. I'll also need a second job to afford it all! lol

Back