VR8200A questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just a few questions about the VR8200A as I convert my setup...

1) I'm used to working with 110vac where you have a hot and neutral. It looks like with this 24vac it doesn't really matter which you connect to which. Is that true? I ask because I'm trying to figure out connecting the wires as they come out of my Brewtroller to the TH/TR terminals.

2) It seems a bit dicey to me that the terminals are exposed with water around. Has anyone done anything about this or is it a just be careful situation?

3) I was looking at the instructions where they talk about mounting the thermocouple lead to the control. They mention about some kind of ECO Connector. I don't see anything like this in my box. Should I have it? (See PDF page 8 here.

4) This might be a stupid question - but what is the pressure regulator adjustment for? I assume it's not a replacement for the 0-10 PSI regulator I have in front of the gas control (specifically for my mash tun because I want fine control over the flame).

Many thanks in advance!

Ok scratch the ECO connector question - I see that's an option. And I also see with respect to water you're supposed to cover it somehow.

Still need advice on the TH/TR and the regulator adjustment. Thanks again!

The Honeywell valves are low pressure (11" wc for propane) so you need a low pressure (11") regulator before the valve or you will damage it.

Ya I just figured that out. So it looks like my 0-10 adjustable is pretty useless at this point. I'll have to pickup a couple regulator at the LHS.

So to double-check me:

From my manifold - into the 1/2 PSI regulator - into the gas control - out of the gas control to the burner although I need to put something in between the burner and output to regulate the flame. Crap I don't have a spare needle valve around!

I just brewed my 1st batch with my Brutus 10 rig and had many of the same questions you had with my VR8200A. My responses below....

Hello all,

Just a few questions about the VR8200A as I convert my setup...

1) I'm used to working with 110vac where you have a hot and neutral. It looks like with this 24vac it doesn't really matter which you connect to which. Is that true? I ask because I'm trying to figure out connecting the wires as they come out of my Brewtroller to the TH/TR terminals.

Your Brewtroller controls the temperature (or so I deciphered from the name), so it should be in the TH circuit path.

e.g ------ controller--------TH terminal

2) It seems a bit dicey to me that the terminals are exposed with water around. Has anyone done anything about this or is it a just be careful situation?

If it can get wet, use the 4 holes around the outflow side of the valve and mount a cover. I had some minor leaks and am glad I had covers on my valves and pumps. Many guys use diamond plate. I used some thin aluminum and that helps protect the TH/TR tabs.

3) I was looking at the instructions where they talk about mounting the thermocouple lead to the control. They mention about some kind of ECO Connector. I don't see anything like this in my box. Should I have it? (See PDF page 8 here.

Looks like you have this covered.

4) This might be a stupid question - but what is the pressure regulator adjustment for? I assume it's not a replacement for the 0-10 PSI regulator I have in front of the gas control (specifically for my mash tun because I want fine control over the flame).

Not a stupid question. I went back and forth between low pressure regulator and adjustable. Get a 0.5 psi 2 stage regulator (I am using a Mr Heater F273763, because it was readily available at Ace HW). You will find the 0.5 psi = 11' WC (water column).

Many thanks in advance!

As for your double-check "From my manifold - into the 1/2 PSI regulator - into the gas control - out of the gas control to the burner although I need to put something in between the burner and output to regulate the flame. Crap I don't have a spare needle valve around!"

I am driving my gas as follows:

Tank---->0.5 psi reg----->manifold (or gas beam, in my case)---VR8200---->
----->gas ball valve-----> burner

Good luck.

Bernie

Hi Bernie - thanks for the reply! The only part I'm lost on is your comment about the TH path. Here's how it goes as far as the Brewtroller is setup:

I have 110vac coming in. I run that to a tri-volt transformer so that I can step down to 24vac. Seen here:

14c18854-a34d-4e7a-931f-b0d8c263e470_300.jpg

The two bottom terminals are 24vac. One terminal I designate as the common and one as the hot (arbitrary because it doesn't seem to matter which is which). The common goes directly to one pin on my output. The hot goes to a relay and then the other side of the relay goes to another pin on my output.

So are you saying that my designated hot should go to the TH terminal and the TR is the common?

And thanks for the confirmation on the regulator. I will probably leave my 0-30 at the tank and just get 1/2psi regs for my HLT burner and MT burner. That way I can leave the BK burner alone.

I was lost on the 24 V transformer (and this looks just like mine, Home Depot special!)

The electrician at HD told me to think exactly as you described. One terminal as hot, the other as neutral:

Post marked 16V (hot)_______TH terminal

Transformer VR8200

Post marked 8V (neutral)_____TR terminal

As for the reg, I was able to boil my 12 gallons without incident coming off the 0.5 psi regulator....there was no need to keep the 0-30 adjustable in the circuit!

Best, Bernie

Back