Vorlauf- how much grain is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
just switched from a cooler w/ braid to stainless MLT w/ bazooka screen. doing vorlauf on the new MLT i noticed a lot more material leaking through the bazooka vs the braid. i ran about 6 pitchers till it cleared. still, it was much more hazy than i am use too with the cooler/braid. while there was no real husks coming through after vorlauf, i did see a very small amount of the inner meal from the kernel get into the kettle. anyone think this will be a problem with tannin or off flavor? any advice on the bazooka screen?

Like you, I switched from a braid to the bazooka screen. The bazooka screen is definitely coarser, so I'd either adjust your grain crush to better keep the hulls intact or just toss a few handfuls of rice hulls into each batch. Once the grain bed sets you shouldn't see much husk material getting through.

I wouldn't worry about minor amounts of husk or grain material coming through. The rice hulls should help with this, as well, however.

That "Haze" might not actually be a bad thing. BIAB is notorious for that haze. There's been some studies that suggest it contains stuff that keep the yeast happy. I'm not sure about the specifics but I've heard John Palmer talk about it on the Brew Strong BIAB episode.

Back