Volumes of CO2 for stout tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckonfidelis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had a flat pour, a glass of foam, and a nice cascade all with the same keg of beer. I know I should target 32 psi depending on FG and am now pretty sure that it is my dissolved C02 that is the culprit:

-I filtered at high pressure and ended up with an unknown level of C02 that produced a fine cascade. Then I dumped the pressure in the nitro mix to let the beer stabilize and ended up with a flat pour. I released the nitro and forced C02 with a couple of shakes and got a glass of foam no matter what pressure the serving nitro mix was set to. Then I dumped the pressure and shook out some C02 and am back to a decent cascading pour.

So, does anyone have a good technique to get the right solution of C02 for a proper pour as a function of FG? (I throw in that last qualifier since I sometimes run a heavy stout and sometimes a lighter Caffreys style)

Cheers!

I just responded to a similar question on a nitro setup. You can see what I do with my system here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/nitro-stout-carbonation-need-help-273725/

I've never really noticed much difference in pouring as the FG changes, but I do occasionally "tweak" the beergas psi if I think it needs a little more or less pressure. I wonder if you could simply purge the keg completely after you filter and "reset" your carbonation level from there. That would at least give you a known starting point.

Latest posts

Back