Vocabulary for Describing and Evaluating Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A sensory vocabulary worksheet I compiled for the initial workshop in a six part series on sensory training, beer evaluation and styles. Or view it online here.

upload_2019-10-30_14-5-30.png

upload_2019-10-30_14-9-3.png

upload_2019-10-30_14-10-17.png

Had the first session of the six monthly workshops last night, went well. Had some interesting conversation, including some on vocabulary. One example was someone was struggling with the difference between tart and sour. Good conversations.

Next month's workshop will focus on German lagers - we'll taste and evaluate four examples of different styles of German lagers.

Great list but it makes me realize I'd be a terrible judge as I don't know what a large number of those descriptors taste like.

"Grape nuts", "Granola", "Malt-o-meal"??

Maybe culturally neutral descriptors would have been more appropriate?

"Grape nuts", "Granola", "Malt-o-meal"??

Maybe culturally neutral descriptors would have been more appropriate?

There are two aspects of the sensations of taste and aroma - the physical input (neurons, for example) and our associations - i.e. what our brains do with those inputs, what they remind us of, for example. Those associations are where the really interesting stuff happens. Those associations are subjective in two important ways: my personal history and my cultural affinities. In my case, I'm European-descended, from the midwest of the US, male and in my 50s. All of those impact how I perceive flavors and aromas. To me, malt often conveys flavors I associate with those descriptors.

That being said, we can move past our cultural affinities and personal histories. Because I live in Chicago, I often am with folks with different backgrounds from myself and am constantly learning about cuisines and culinary techniques from other cultures. I love it when a judge I'm paired with describes something I'm not familiar with, and then I get to learn about it. The reverse, presumably, is also true.

It is interesting that you mention Malt-o-Meal in particular. Last night, one of the participants was in his early 20s and had no idea what it was, had never heard of it let alone eaten it. Generational stuff, too.

A sensory vocabulary worksheet I compiled for the initial workshop in a six part series on sensory training, beer evaluation and styles. Or view it online here.

View attachment 650458

This should be required reading for all judges - awesome work and thank you!

Vocabulary is absolutely a weak point of BJCP studying

One of the harder parts though, as you've said is making sure that you and the person across the table from you are using the same word to describe the same flavor. You might taste it differently but as long as you both call it the same thing, it works.

So linking these descriptions with a flavor should be required training for judges I think.

I might also add:

Isoamyl Acetate - banana
Thiols (Sulfur compounds from hops or yeast) - Cooked cabbage, oniony, garlic, boiled vegetables

Last edited:
Speaking of thiols, I recently had a commercial beer that had strong aroma and flavor of onion and boiled vegetables with lighter notes of stinky feet and feces.

I think that takes "drain-pour" one step further: spit immediately and rinse well.

Speaking of thiols, I recently had a commercial beer that had strong aroma and flavor of onion and boiled vegetables with lighter notes of stinky feet and feces.

I think that takes "drain-pour" one step further: spit immediately and rinse well.

I recently experienced a feces aroma in a beer so strong that I couldn't make myself taste it... Worst smell I've ever encountered in a beer

Yeah I wouldn't have either.
The onion aroma in this beer was off-putting but I was feeling brave. It's a wonder some places stay in business.

View attachment 650456
View attachment 650457
View attachment 650458
I would just point out that while that's a great list of descriptors, it's not all-inclusive. There's no way you could reasonably cover every possible flavor or sensory descriptor.

Thanks for sharing!

One example was someone was struggling with the difference between tart and sour.
That does sound interesting. I recently made a strawberry rhubarb wheat, heavier on the rhubarb. I would call the taste tart, my friend used the word sour. Not sure how to differentiate the two words actually. Thanks for sharing the list, interesting to read.

Latest posts

Back