Vitamins and homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-oh

Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted to brew a beer with any significant nutritional value by infusing it with vitamins and minerals. IE, dissolving vitamins into the wort, or "dryhopping" with vitamin C, etc?

The yeast itself will provide a good amount of Vitamin B, I am not sure about the rest of it though.

http://bavarianbrewerytech.com/news/guess.htm looks to have some good info on the overall nutritional content of beer and its components.

If it were me I would crush a multivitamin and add that to a single beer on bottling to see what it tastes like and how it reacts to the process.

The question might be whether to add it in the primary or going into the bottle.

Might make a taste difference, but I am curious if the vitamins or minerals will increase or decrease yeast activity. Are antioxidants bad for yeast health?

Interesting experiment idea.

I would be very wearry of this. you'll surely make a nasty flavor...suck on your daily multi vitamin tomorrow....you want that in your beer?
I credit my superior health to the daily drinking of Apfelwein....it's got Vit C!

Might conjur up a label with a vitamin in a blister pack or someting.

I have put a pack of emergantC in the bottom of a bottle and then filled it with up off the tap with a Wheat Beer. It worked really well but I only did a few bottles mostly to have something fun for our meeting

Back