Violent Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

510Billy

Reaction score
I just managed some very active fermentation. Got a blowout tube attached before making a mess. It has since subsided and I removed the tube and reattached the airlock. Should I have just left the blowout tube on there? I guess I'm asking if the craziness is over?

Once the vigorous fermentation seems to be over with, it's over with. You aren't going to have another round of krausen trying to escape the primary. So, reattaching the airlock was a safe decision.

With many of my brews, the first thirty-six hours often produce vigorous, almost violent fermentation activity. Not knowing exactly how each brew will progress, I have gotten into the habit of using a blow-off tube with EVERY batch of beer I brew. I usually replace the blow-off with a three-piece airlock after three or four days of fermentation.

glenn514:mug:

With many of my brews, the first thirty-six hours often produce vigorous, almost violent fermentation activity. Not knowing exactly how each brew will progress, I have gotten into the habit of using a blow-off tube with EVERY batch of beer I brew. I usually replace the blow-off with a three-piece airlock after three or four days of fermentation.

glenn514:mug:

I do this, too. Cheap, safe insurance against having to mop the ceiling!

The crazy fermentation is indeed over. The temperature spike hottest @ 72 degrees but is now constant 65 degrees. I say that because the temp-strip on my carboy reads 64 in the green and slightly readable yellow on the 66 marks respectively. If anyone is curious, its a Tangelo Hefeweizen (1.060OG). The yeast I used was .388oz. Dry Munich Wheat Beer Yeast. Rehydrated in 4oz. of 80 degree water 15 minutes before pitching. Thanks again for all your kind advice.

I had something similar happen to me recently.

Did an AG Red Ale and pitched Wyeast 1056; had bubbling the next 3 days with airlock and then on day #4, I thankfully went into the cellar to get something and noticed that it had REALLY taken off!
Replaced the blow off tube and have ALWAYS used blowoff since that day.

The concensus was that it really took off because the temp went from low 60's to mid to high 60's and that caused the increase.

It is now in week #4 (3 in primary and 1 in secondary) and lookin fantastic.

Temp plays critical role in yeast activity is my lesson learned!

Hi, I'm brewing my first batch of beer and have beer coming out of the airlock, I will immediately try to fix that with the blowout tube. I didn't even have to ask, this thread was just sitting here for me. :)

The instructions said to have it sit at a temperature between 65 and 75. I found a quiet, dark spot in the house that's about 74 degrees. The only cooler places in the house are next to windows and in the basement. My roommate refuses to let me turn down the thermostat. The basement is usually between 60 and 65 degrees, would that be better or is that too cold?

Hi, I'm brewing my first batch of beer and have beer coming out of the airlock, I will immediately try to fix that with the blowout tube. I didn't even have to ask, this thread was just sitting here for me. :)

The instructions said to have it sit at a temperature between 65 and 75. I found a quiet, dark spot in the house that's about 74 degrees. The only cooler places in the house are next to windows and in the basement. My roommate refuses to let me turn down the thermostat. The basement is usually between 60 and 65 degrees, would that be better or is that too cold?

Depends on the strain. Got a link to the kit?

Also, the coolest place you can find is 74 in the house?

Screen-Shot-2011-11-30-at-10.12.54-AM.jpg

It's like a sauna in here!

Again, dependent on the yeast that temp sounds a little too high for most ale yeasts.
Consider that the exterior temp of the ferment vessel (if that is where your thermo is) is always lower than the actual temp of the beer.
Depending on what reference you use, the internal temp of the beer can be anywhere upwards of 5 to 10 degrees above what the thermo indicates.

Again, dependent on the yeast that temp sounds a little too high for most ale yeasts.
Consider that the exterior temp of the ferment vessel (if that is where your thermo is) is always lower than the actual temp of the beer.
Depending on what reference you use, the internal temp of the beer can be anywhere upwards of 5 to 10 degrees above what the thermo indicates.

So the basement would probably be better? Between 60 and 65.

Also, what about fluorescent lights? I got some in the basement but I'm only down there for about 1/2 hour to fifty minutes a day.

Looks like a Danstar Munich Wheat, but it's really hard to tell from the picture. It isn't in the description that I can see. Don't suppose you have any more information?

Not much information on their data sheet either. They claim finish in under 4 days at 20C (68F). That's a damn fast yeast. Even so, I'd try to keep it around 65F.

You're going to get a whole lot of banana and some clove flavors at 74F. Give it a try, but by God use a blowoff tube or FermCap if you ferment that that temperature with Munich Wheat.

So the basement would probably be better? Between 60 and 65.

Also, what about fluorescent lights? I got some in the basement but I'm only down there for about 1/2 hour to fifty minutes a day.

Fluorescents are fine, but only if they have the anti-UV coating on the glass. I'm almost certain yours don't. Just throw a blanket over it.

thadius856 said:
Fluorescents are fine, but only if they have the anti-UV coating on the glass. I'm almost certain yours don't. Just throw a blanket over it.

Ok, I moved the beer to the basement. I got a blanket ready for tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help.

just put a Porter in my fermenter chamber on Sunday.......temp is set @ 64/65degrees and guess what? Blow off tube is brown as the Star San solution. Seems like all my batches need blow off tubes...Will be looking for a blow off tube that fits "snuggly" in my Better Bottle

What yeast strain is it? My initial thought is to put in the basement to be safe. 65 degree ambient temperature will ferment in the high 60 to low 70 range due to the heat released during fermentation. If you are fermenting in the mid 70's then your actual fermentation temperature could be in the high 70's to low 80's which is much too high for most ale strains. Belgian strains are ok at these temps.

Back