Vintage Kegerator Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanSweeney

Reaction score
I purchased an old GE fridge this past Monday evening. It was built in 1956. In the realm of vintage fridges, I picked it up fairly cheaply...but it's got a bit of heavy rust here and there, and it had a dent in the door.

front.jpg

inside.jpg

Tuesday night, I scrubbed the inside and door. It cleaned up pretty nice. It's far from perfect...has a few cracks in the plastic shelving in the door, but I'm not "restoring" it as much as I'm "rehabbing" it.

clean-inside.jpeg

clean-door.jpeg

Last night, I tried removing the plastic door liner/shelving, but the entire bottom row of bolts are rusted in place. Fortunately, I was able to lower the liner enough to get behind the dent and push it back out. I can't shape it as much as I'd like to because I can't get the door liner out of the way, but it's WAY better than it was. I'll just add some Bondo after I sand the entire thing.

This project will be very much like that of HBT user "kerber". He did his vintage GE conversion in 2011, and it is awesome. I will be using a Raspberry Pi, Arduino, temperature sensors and a Power Switch Tail to control and maintain the temperature.

I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I think it'll turn out pretty nice. I already know that I will use this fridge as my practice run. I'm sure I can find vintage fridges in much better condition than this one is in, but I did get it pretty darn cheaply...and it works very, very well.

Neat project! Best of luck. There's nothing better than imagination and rejuvenation. : )

Sub'd. I've been wanting to do this and spending lots of time on HBT getting ideas and on CL looking for the right fridge. Keep the great pics coming.

Drilled holes for the shanks this morning. Sanded the door and moved it into the paint booth but had to call it quits for a few hours.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406390823.630696.jpg

Does it still work/keep cold? Or are you redoing the refrigeration on it as well? The reason i am asking, is I have the fridge in my signature that needs new refrigeration and was wondering what you did to yours. It looks good so far and I hope to get mine in that shape some day too.

It still works and works very well. Of 9 cooling levels, I had it set on 5. I set my fridge thermometer in it for a couple of hours and it was 39 degrees.

Kinda reminds of Darth Vader! Very nice! Release the power of dark side!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Kinda reminds of Darth Vader! Very nice! Release the power of dark side!!!

Haha. I just didn't want it to be white.

I painted the badge black because each letter would have had to come off. I didn't feel like messing with all of that on this fridge.

The only shiny bits on it will be the handle and the faucets.

Two comfortably. Three if you crammed them in and you might even have to remove the door shelves. I'm just going with 2. There's plenty of room for 2 kegs and the CO2 bottle.

Ah. Still very cool. You gonna have a separate fridge for carbing?

Maybe later. I'll be selling my current kegerator (converted Sanyo fridge) to help pay for the making of this one. If I find a good Craigslist deal, I might snatch it up.

Insulated an reattached the door tonight. Installed the faucets too. Still gotta reattach the door shelves and make holes for the beer lines.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406595966.740741.jpg

More machine now than man, twisted, and evil....

I can't believe you geeks didn't pick up my Star Wars references. Then again, maybe I'm the geek...
:mad:

Thanks for the compliments guys. I still have a bit more to do, but it's come a long way in 2 weeks.

Back