Vintage Hotpoint Kegerator - need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmangini19

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm somewhat new to the forum but have posted a couple threads while I was doing this build.

Long story short, I restored a 1946 Hotpoint refrigerator and converted it to a single tap kegerator / Beer fridge.

The Kegerator part is complete and works great. Now I need to finish it by adding a shelving unit so I can store cans/bottles and frosted glasses.

I included some pictures below of the fridge (I don't have a keg in it now since we just moved however brew is in progress). I have a spec sheet as well showing what I would like to add.

I've decided to make it out of wood, sealing the frame for the shelving with Killz oil based paint then using wood slats (stained and sealed) for the shelves. I wanted to see if anyone has done wood shelves in a kegerator and if you had any suggestions on what type of wood I should use and if my plans for sealing the wood will work.

IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5949.jpg

specs - Shelves.jpg

Looks good, you are going to want good temperature control, and I would have something to put the keg's in so if they get condensation on them, it does not run all over the floor.

also, with the old fridges (which looks great) there is going to be more humidity in the fridge, so might want to look at some more moisture resistant woods. cedar or marine birch, or others (i don't know that much, but probably only a google search away)

is the temperature probe in liquid or air?

good job on it.

Back