Vintage Bishop & Babcock brass faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brohlijk

Reaction score
:confused:Hello everyone!! I recently purchased a vintage brass faucet made by/for Bishop & Babcock, its simply beautiful and its just what I needed since my keezer has a vintage them, now my question is; can I use this? is it safe? if so what do I need to do to sanitize it? I was thinking of sending it to get fully restored. but if the price is too steep I might have to settle with just a good ol' cleaning USMC style.

From How to brew:

Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.

After that I would say a bath in a bit of oxy and then some regular sanitizer and you'd be fine,

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!

Thanks! Quick question I'm not familiar with oxy, are you referring to oxy-clean or a different one?

Sorry for the crappy pictures.

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

I sand blasted the collar to give the wood texture, the chrome handle is from a Mac tool box, the space between the faucets Is there for a fourth faucet. I'll be running 4 1/4 slim kegs, the co2 tank is a 7 lbs slim tank. The towel is hanging off a brass eagle door knocker. I ran past my budget so I'll have to stop for now, I still need 3 beer hoses, 4 co2 hoses, and a 4 way splitter. I also need a 19" drip tray there will also be a blue neon light under it to give it a blue glow. But like I said due ro budget issues I'll be holding out for at least 2 to 3 months.

I have a Bishop and Babcock faucet just like it. I have seen a few on the internet, and the majority are on jockey boxes (like the one I have). Bishop and Babcock made machines and equipment for the beer industry. Because they specialized in producing these items, I would feel comfortable using it.

If you are worried about lead... they make testing kits for the metal, they also make testing kits for water. You can get a lead test kit from home depot just to be sure.

Back