vinnie on pliny the elder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
i was listening to a sunday session with vinnie from russian river as a guest, and he said they were drinking 4 day old pliny. this seemed a little young to me. i know if i brew an ipa like pliny it takes atleast two or three weeks before it is at its peak, but 4 days? vinnie was acting like this was the preffered.

I'm pretty sure he meant it was bottled 4 days ago, not that he pitched the yeast 4 days ago. I think his dry hop schedule alone is about 2 weeks.

Colonel Forbin I know why you've come here, and I'll help you with your quest to gain the knowledge that you lack!

What're you going to do...seize the Helping Friendly Book and fly it to his shack?

I would assume it was also carbed in a bright tank as oppose to bottle conditioned...There is two weeks right there.

It does not take two weeks in a brite tank. The beer would come into the tank already at least partially carbed (typically up to two volumes or so.) The fermentation will add much of the carbonation before it gets to the tank. It really is just a place for beer to sit for a couple of days before packaging.

As for drinking 4 day old Pliny... I'd rather have it younger than that if I could get it that fast. The beer is perfect when bottled and degrades every day. You won't notice for the first few weeks, but it will start to fade.

I really think that people need to understand that commercial beer does not sit and wait to get good or whatever. The fresher the beer, the better. A beer that is properly made and well balanced should be fresh and ready the day it is carbed and packaged. So often we like recipes that we brew better after a number of days because they're not balanced or have a flaw we're just used to ignoring until it goes away.

Brew better beer with more balance and you won't have to wait.

I think most commercial brews are good to drink as soon as they are bottled (except for bottle conditioned stuff)
I had the pleasure of getting a Firestone DBA straight off the bottling line, and let me tell you, it was amazing.

Back