Viking Oat Malt Sacks- .90/lb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great deal, but that's a lot of oats and flaked oats have a short shelf life because of the high fat content. Proximity Malt suggests 12 months for malted oats in what appears to be generic text that was written for barley malts in general, not oats. Does anyone have any insight on the shelf life of malted oats?

This is the "Homebrewing Deals" thread, not the "Practical Homebrewing Deals" thread. A 55# sack of oats is going to take some doing to make good use of. Do you have 10 brewing friends? No? Then maybe this deal is not for you! I would guess that oats in a sealed container would last some 2 years. You are still going to need some NEIPA loving buddies or a horse or two, lest you get stuck with a ridiculous amount of oats!

Not necessarily. I refer you to Scott Janish's excellent article on brewing with oats, which discusses beers made with oats up to 100% of the grist. I brew 10 gal at a time, so I could make short work of it were I really inspired.

Latest posts

Back