Vierka yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if anyone here has used Vierka brand yeast & specifically, what (if any) differences did you notice in flavour profiles in your finished product(s)?

I used it in a recently bottled strawberry mead. obviously I used their mead yeast, I dont have much to compare it to since this is my first strawberry mead but I am very happy with the yeast.
You need to make a starter since it comes in the form of dried yeast on dried grape skins, it took about four days to get a healthy starter going. after I pitched the yeast it started fermenting in about 4 hours and needed a blowoff after 6, this is that fastest mead yeast Ive ever used.
It fermented from about 1.100 to 0.995 in 2 weeks. The finished product required the addition of a very small amount of tannin (1/8 tsp for 5 gallons) and has the character of dry white wine.
I cant say much about the flavor profile except that it seems to ferment quickly and cleanly, but the strawberrys may have obscured any fruity esters produced by the yeast.

well like I said I didn't do a series of batches with different yeasts to compare them but I am happy with the results of the vierka mead yeast. It needs a starter and it takes some time to get going but after that it ferments fast and clean.
Compared to other dried yeasts Ive used I liked it a bit better. I have always had a problem with redstar yeasts making excessive hydrogen sulfide and a few stuck ferments with lalvin.
Next time I make a batch of mead its a close call between vierka and maybe lalvin K1V-1116.

Thanks for the input, I've been curious about Vierka for a while & yours is the only user opinion I've been able to get. Think I'll give one of the Vierka strains a try afterall. Regards, GF.

Very old post... Any other user reviews on Vierka Yeast? i purchased some Vierka at my local shop in Johannesburg as it was the only Alt yeast that they had. Any people used this yeast since 2009?

Latest posts

Back