Vienna smash kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
I have 12# of Vienna left over from a brew yesterday, and a pack of wyeast 2565 (or some London esb ale)..for hops I have the following:

East Kent golding
Motueka
Pacifica
Pacific jade
Cascade
Centennial

I was thinking of 1oz Kent golding at 60, and maybe another .5 oz at 10...

Any thoughts on how this would work with the kolsch yeast?

I also have some previously washed london esb ale yeast I could use instead....just asking for opinions, thanks!

bump for some more input...im really leaning to the kolsch yeast on this too as I plan on "lagering" this for about 30 days at 40-45degrees

My opinion is Kolsch is a classic style with traditional hops. Since you don't have those on hand I believe you can make a nice Blonde Ale. Based on the recipe for Cent Blonde, for five gallons I recommend

8.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)

If you have the ingredients you could get even closer:

0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

My opinion is Kolsch is a classic with traditional hops like Pearl and Saaz. Since you don't have those on hand I believe you can make a nice Blonde Ale. Based on the recipe for Cent Blonde, for five gallons I recommend

If you have the ingredients you could get even closer:

0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

That wouldn't be a smash.

I'm not making a kolsch beer (I made that friday), just using that strand of yeast with the smash...this isn't for a competition at all.....I'm just really looking for guidance on which of my avaliable hops would pair the best with the vienna malt. I have Google the hell out of this idea and the best result I have found so far that people enjoyed is the motueka (probably since it is a distant cousin of saaz), so I'll just plan out that and keep the ibu around 20 or so.

I have done a vienna smash with el Dorado hops and kolsch yeast. Very tasty. I would suggest pacific jade, motekua, or Pacifica. Use all three hops or smash. Pacific jade and motekua are dual hops so it's to up to you. If use all three of those hops I would pj for bittering and the other two for aroma

That wouldn't be a smash.

I'm not making a kolsch beer (I made that friday), just using that strand of yeast with the smash...this isn't for a competition at all.....I'm just really looking for guidance on which of my avaliable hops would pair the best with the vienna malt. I have Google the hell out of this idea and the best result I have found so far that people enjoyed is the motueka (probably since it is a distant cousin of saaz), so I'll just plan out that and keep the ibu around 20 or so.

Ah. I stand corrected. I'll be interested to read about your decision.

I went with the motueka. ..bill was:

100% vienna 12#
Mashed at 148

.40oz first wort
.25oz at 50 min
.50oz at 30 min
.50oz at 20 min
.50oz at 5 min

IBU is at 26

Pitched a 1L starter of 2565 at 75 degrees..

The smell was absolutely mesmerizing, and the initial taste when I was checking og was better than Fridays brew by far, but I noticed the Wyeast kolsch yeast smelled much stronger than the white lab did....more fruity almost.

Here is a pic of the 2 side by side, the one from today is on the left

20160710_213520.jpg

Back