Vienna/Munich efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I've been trying to sample different base malts and have been brewing with a lot of Vienna and Munich base malt. Today's brew is composed entirely of 50% Vienna and 50% Munich base malt. I've been having some trouble reaching my OG recently and wonder if this may be the cause. I read that those are traditionally not used in such high amounts. Has anyone else used them in such high amounts and if so did you have efficiency problems?

A lot of my brewing has been 50 % Veinna and It converts great, I have never used Munich but I would think it would not be a problem. A lot of people do Smashes with these malts!:D

I've done 100% vienna and 100% munich brews. No conversion or efficiency problems to speak of.

Edit: I should clarify that the munich brews have been both Avangard Munich I for one batch, and a mix of 50/50 Weyermann Munich I and II for another. It may be that Briess/Crisp/etc Munich 10L and especially the 20L don't have the same diastatic power left for full conversion. You would have to check the spec sheets on those malts if you use them.

Back