Vienna malt IPA? Would love some help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simontja

Reaction score
Hey there.

I've got some Mosaic, Amarillo and Citra hops and was planning to make an IPA this weekend.

But I'm a bit weak in the malt department, and malt is something without shipping is hard for me to come-by.

What I've got is 5 kg/11lbs Vienna malt (Weyermann), 1 kg/2.2lbs Pale Crystal malt (Thomas Fawcett), 1 kg/2.2lbs Carapils (Weyermann)

Would this make a worthwhile 5 gallon batch?

How would something like this go?

http://i.imgur.com/rTKcokJ.png

that's like 16% crystal, I think that will be entirely too sweet, especially considering there is another 16% of carapils

both of those don't produce much fermentable sugars, so they give nice body & head and sweetness, but should be used in moderation

if you can deal with a weaker beer or less volume beer (or don't mind beefing up the ABV with an adjunct like sugar) than I would use all 5kg of Vienna and maybe like 0.4-0.5 kg of the other 2

just my 2cents

I say rock and roll on what you've right there just decrease that crystal malt just a tad. Mash at a low temperature (single infusion roughly 146-149) for damn-near an hour and a half and it shouldn't be to sweet. Do some late hope additions with those mosaics and you should end up with an awesome decently-weighted almost session IPA!

I'd say use all your Vienna, and like everybody said lay off all the crystal, 1lb would be sufficient. Probably wouldn't add all that carapils either, its nice to have good head, but ya don't want it over the top. ;)

Depending on how dry you want your beer to get, mash low, if you want a bit sweeter less fermentables mash a bit higher. My personal preference in ipa's is dry. But not everybody likes em dry so its completely your call on that one. Plus as others touched on with sugar, it will beef up your abv, but it will give your yeast a good running start with some simple sugars which create a bit less stress on the yeast. Some people add during the boil, others at flame out, some after the first day of fermentation. I've tried all myself with good results.

I would use everything except 500g of the carapils, should make a fantastic IPA. Be sure to use enough hops! I like 3oz of late hops and 3oz of dry hops for my IPA.

I would use everything except 500g of the carapils, should make a fantastic IPA. Be sure to use enough hops! I like 3oz of late hops and 3oz of dry hops for my IPA.
I'm only capable of making 5 gallon batches. I'm worried that will be too sweet, am I wrong?

I would knock down the carapils down to less than a pound. Maybe 12 oz or one pound on the dot. Mash low 151, 150 or so. That would make something pretty good.

I did an IPA not to long ago that I would consider to be close to your grains, though the unfermentable sugars were derived from different grains. Ended up using quite a bit of hops, only used .5 oz of northern brewer hops for bittering, but 11 oz total for 5 gal. Turned out well.

I did a pale ale with 65% Vienna (and zero crystal). It was pretty damn good, had a bit of a sweet taste but wasn't actually sweet. Mosaic goes really well with that, I'd probably go with 65% Mosaic, 25% Amarillo, 10% Citra or something along those lines... added almost entirely in the flameout and dry hop.

Next time around I plan on cutting the vienna to around 45%, I think I'll like that more. I'd suggest using some lighter base malt or extract to cut it a bit, I feel like 100% Vienna will fight the hops.

I'd drop the crystal entirely.

I think you should hop burst it with all those great hops. I wouldn't waste mosaic or citra or Amarillo on bittering. I have a APA that doesn't have hops boiled more than 13 minutes. The aroma is out of bounds!!! The grain bill looks good, but may not need the carapils. I mash mine around 150-151.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back