Vienna/Citra SMaSH recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerBeardMan2727

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a long time lurker but this is my first post.

I brewed a Vienna/Citra SMaSH American Pale Ale a few weeks ago and right now it's conditioning in the keg. I wanted to test the carbonation level after a few days on Co2 so I pulled a sample. Unfortunately, I didn't really like the taste. This isn't entirely uncommon for me as I don't think green beers taste very good anyway - at least mine don't. I received feedback from another taster and they didn't like it either and suggested there may be some off flavors.

I built the recipe in Beersmith and tried to remain true to the APA style in terms of ABV, color, gravity, and IBUs. The only tasting notes I can offer are that it almost resembles a wheat beer. Further, I get some light bready notes up front with a relatively low amount of bitterness on the back end. It's hard to describe what I don't like about it though other than it may be missing bitterness. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make it better? My initial thought was to add some hops to the keg. Maybe additional bitterness from the hops will compensate? I realize I you won't get much bitterness from dry hopping but maybe if I throw a bunch in there?

I don't have any experience using only Vienna malt so then I started thinking that is just the way Vienna malt tastes. Does anyone have any experience or advice to give? I'm hoping to save this batch.

Back