Vienna Cascade Smash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneman

Reaction score
I'm picking up ingredients for a Vienna Cascade Smash today.

Vienna Malt 11 lbs
Cascade 1oz 60min
Cascade .5oz 15min
Cascade .5oz 0min

I am trying to decide if i should take the first gallon of first runnings and boil/reduce it separately like a scotch ale to increase the sweetness/caramelization or just mash, boil and ferment.

Any suggestions?

If you're trying to learn to love Vienna malt for what it is (often the purpose of SMASHes), then I wouldn't caramelize it. In fact, I wouldn't do that no matter what because of the the type of hops Cascades are. But that's just my opinion.

+1 to what McGarnigle said. Gotta get the base taste established on your palate before you play around with it. Plus, those cascades are going to be fruity enough.

Thanks guys!
Mash, boil and ferment then.
I already love vienna malt and cascade hops, I was just worried it would be missing something without crystal malt.

I did a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH as my 1st All Grain. I'd go for it as and do a true SMaSH - if you don't go too hop happy (which it doesn't look like you are), I think it'll turn out pretty darn good with just the Vienna character.

Latest posts

Back