Vibrating eKettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metric

Reaction score
My setup:
Keggle with 5500w wavy element, mounted by tri clover element adapter (brew hardware). Power control by still dragon DIY controller, connected to 220v recepticle.

Last night was my first run using my eKettle for a 10gal batch. While my kettle was heating the wort to a boil, my kettle started to vibrate, enough that it was noisy as it vibrated against the burner stand it was sitting in. Dialing the power down to around 70% stopped the vibration. Brew continued without incident, boiled for 90mins, maintaining a rolling boil at about 60% power.

I've not experienced this with previous 5gal batches so it obviously has something to do with a very full kettle and only when it is high in temp, 85 deg C and above, and when power is 70%+. Note that my immersion chiller was in at the time but I removed it to no effect, so left it in for the boil.

Any ideas what's causing this vibration?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's just when the heat causes the agitation in the fluid, it is enough to make the kettle vibrate. If you were to isolate the kettle from the stand with three "feet," like a tripod, I suspect it would go away. Easier though, would be to put a piece of foam or something similar underneath the kettle. Obviously, anything you use needs to be able to handle the heat. Also, make sure the kettle is not touching the stand anywhere else.

Back