Viability question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumsboa09

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out here? I have my only stir plate tied up and I'm trying to brew a quick small batch on Friday. The white labs vial has a best by date of 3-9. Is the viability good on that to just pitch without a starter? It's a 3 gallon batch of 1.050 wort. Thanks guys

As the yeast gets older, estimates of viability get less accurate and more varied depending on which model you use. According to the two popular calculators, you have either 10 billion or 41 billion yeast cells, and optimal pitching rate would be 105 billion. I tend to believe that long term viability is higher than most estimates if the yeast is stored properly, but even a best case scenario you'd still be pitching about half as many cells as would be ideal. It would probably ferment ok just pitching it as is, but for the cleanest flavors it would be best to do a quick starter.

JuanMoore said:
As the yeast gets older, estimates of viability get less accurate and more varied depending on which model you use. According to the two popular calculators, you have either 10 billion or 41 billion yeast cells, and optimal pitching rate would be 105 billion. I tend to believe that long term viability is higher than most estimates if the yeast is stored properly, but even a best case scenario you'd still be pitching about half as many cells as would be ideal. It would probably ferment ok just pitching it as is, but for the cleanest flavors it would be best to do a quick starter.

So yeah I read the damn label all wrong. It's actually a best buy date of 5-30. Not sure how I messed that up but none the less I just made a simple starter last night and I'm hoping to pitch it at high krausen tomorrow. Thanks for all the insight and I apologize for being a dip ****.

Back