Viability date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlaterS

Reaction score
Does the viability date adjust when you create a starter? I.e. On 12/15/2014 I brewed a 2.5 gallon SMaSH to bump up my heady topper experiment. I harvested some yeast from the fermenter on 1/1/2015. I created a new starter with what was harvested on 1/15/2015. Which date should be used for viability in Mr. Malty's repitching calculator?

The date used in the calculator is the date that the cells were propagated, so for the cells from the 2nd starter ise the 1/15 date. Although in my experience the viability estimates from Mr. Malty have been pretty far off from what I counted on a hemocytometer. My guess is that your viability is in the ninety's.

The cells for the first starter were mostly propagated a couple of days after the pitch on 12/15. Then it seems that sat under beer for some time before harvesting. The alcohol may have a significant effect on viability. For details see here:
http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2013/01/abv-effects-on-yeast.html

Back