[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone cares, I just committed a large change to and units of measure to my branch. You can now change the unit you want to work with.

There is a new page in the admin section called unit of measure where you can change what is displayed (and what unit you enter into fields) on a measurement bases (i.e. volume, distance, weight, gravity independently).

To update (you have to start with my branch.):
Go to Admin - Install Page and hit Backup (this is database only)
Get the latest from GitHub (git pull). Note if you made any manual edits you may have to do additional commands to or manually get and merge, also a backup of the html directory is not a bad thing in case something goes wrong.
then go to Admin - Install Page and hit update

If you run into any issue, errors or bugs, post them here and I will look into them when I can.

Of course I am not perfect so I expect there to be a few mistakes, please be patient with me

So I have finally gotten to the point where I feel I am ready to take this plunge but before I do I wanted to ask a few questions. If I went on to amazon and ordered a pie would I just be able to go on to the Raspberry Pints site and download the software? Or does the new pie version not work with the pints? I have a friend in IT that might be able to help me do some of the tinkering in the code but I sort of wanted to do a bulk of it myself so I don't need to always rely on him. I was just going to go for the display while the flow control looks pretty cool not sure if its needed at the moment. Thanks for all your guys help but after reading the first 2 threads on this and then looking a little it on this thread I sort of got lost and wanted to ask a quick question before I went and purchased a pie that wouldnt work with the pints. Thanks again and sorry if the answer is somewhere in the third thread I will continue reading and see if I find something.

I recommend pumpkin. :) (Sorry couldn't resist)

does the new pie version not work with the pints?
The original RPints from the website doesn't work with the newer Raspbian operating systems (it doesn't like the new PHP/MySQL versions). I believe Jessie was last version it worked on. There are other branches of Raspberry Pints created by others that will work on the newest Raspbian.

I just saw they released a Pi 4, I doubt anyone has installed RPints on it yet, but I think RPints will work since Pi 4 can still run Jessie/Stretch.

I expect the firmware to run the RPi4B differs from any prior versions, so one would need to update Jessie or Stretch on another machine and then sneaker-net the SD card to the 4B for either to be boot-capable. I did that on Jessie on an RPi2B to get the RPi3B/3B+ working...

Cheers!

Quicky question: is there any reason why the index.php from the original RaspberryPints 2.0.1 kit would not work using your mariaDB compatible version?

Lee came up with a script that installs everything aside from the Alamode support and his latest version works great (installed on my RPi3b+). Almost totally hands-off 'til you launch the initial index.php and set up the various R'Pints user credentials.

Plus, I was able to export the tables from my running (Wheezy) system database to the Stretch version successfully, which is a great start if this is ever going to become my operational standard.

But my existing R'Pints installation has a bunch of mods that I need to restore. It'd be incrementally easier if I could just copy my original php and css files over and fix minor stuff like pathing differences (the old DocumentRoot is /var/www, for example).

Yeah, I know I could just try it and see what happens ;)

Cheers!

the main index.php was modified

/*********************************************************************************
* Description: Display the tap list.
* ----- Modification Log -----
* Who: kaljade and Tobor_8thMan collaboration. Both are members of HBT.
* When: January 2019
* Why: Update the logic to successfully run in Debian 9.x, php 7.x and MariaDB 10.x.
**********************************************************************************/

If you want use NotePad++ compare and compare the new vs old index.php to see the differences.

Okay so .... @Tobor_8thMan and @RandR+ I especially wanted you to see this post.

I made a script to install Tobor's zipfile. I suspect it could be used fairly easily on RandR's repo as well (please grab it if so with my blessing, or ask if you have questions). I'm coming at this from a "if we ask the user to type more than one line to install, it's not done" place. Right now both of you are going different directions (which is cool, open source and all that) and out of the blue I saw a commit to the "Official" RPints repo earlier this week. So the folks following along or the ones joining every week and asking what should be a VERY simple question, have no idea what to do.

My heartfelt suggestion would be to merge the projects. Since Tobor's work is not on GitHub that would be a largely manual process, but I think it would benefit everyone.

Anyway, to the install script, the GitHub is here. End users do not need to go to GitHub, nor do they need to download the zip file above. End users need only issue the following command:
Code:
curl -L rpints-tobor.brewpiremix.com | sudo bash
This works on a clean Raspbian Stretch installation. End users will be prompted to change passwords, host name, apt updates, etc. Nothing else needs to be done other than get a new Raspberry Pi running and on the network. After the script is done, they access RPints via a web browser and continue the configuration.

One issue that came up (that I can't reproduce) is the inability to get to the phpmyadmin page after install. This is an issue with the apt packages not fully setting that up - no idea why. If someone runs into that they can run the following:
Code:
sudo ln -sf /etc/apache2/conf-available/phpmyadmin.conf /etc/phpmyadmin/apache.conf
sudo ln -sf /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/phpmyadmin.conf /etc/apache2/conf-available/phpmyadmin.conf
sudo systemctl restart apache2
So, there's my contribution to the cause as a non-RPints user.

Thank you to @day_trippr for his assistance getting this running.

and "Buster" was just released.
Spin711 tried installing on buster and found the packages change for MySQL and PHP

I will eventually look into figuring out the new one

Attachments

• 2019-06-28-190233_1920x1080_scrot.png
    2019-06-28-190233_1920x1080_scrot.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 66
Spin711 tried installing on buster and found the packages change for MySQL and PHP

I will eventually look into figuring out the new one
Buster installs php7.3. If you install libapache2-mod-php rather than libapache2-mod-php7.0 it will pick the current version (same with pretty much all of those libraries). Check out that install script I linked up there, I think it will save you some time.

Check out that install script I linked up there, I think it will save you some time.
Looking through it and updating it with my changes, I'm planning on making it work with the original, tobor's, and mine

So... my SD card got corrupted and I unfortunately did not make an image of it. It looks like there're lots of new branches to the GitHub. I have no clue how GitHub works. Does anyone know a good GitHub 101 I can read/watch to figure out how to use the new stuff you guys have been working on? Thank you in advance!

... and "Buster" was just released. :D

So far the only thing that affects my projects was a change to the pip CLI. Need to do a lot more testing though.

Should I fire up a new VM, install Buster, et al and determine if my modified Raspberry Pints works in the newest setup? Anyone have any interest in me doing?

Should I fire up a new VM, install Buster, et al and determine if my modified Raspberry Pints works in the newest setup? Anyone have any interest in me doing?
I think so - however I believe you'll find that the libraries you used previously are likely in Buster. You did your work on Debian with latest libs, whereas most folks using Raspberry Pints use what's packaged with it. When I did my install script I pulled from the current Raspbian repos which for instance have PHP 7.0 instead of the 7.2 you used. I tested and there was no impact from that. 7.3.4-2 is shipping with Raspbian Buster.
Buster is Debian 10. Debian.org downloads has 9.9.0 as the latest download. Seems Buster (aka version 10) isn't quite ready for prime time.
Half-right I think. Raspbian Buster is released, and yes they released that ahead of standard Debian Buster. Again, keep in mind your target audience. Most users of these products (Fermentrack, BrewPi, Raspberry Pints, etc.) use a Raspberry Pi. Just going by a WAG I think there may be more people on RPints using other than RPi but I think your majority is still there.

Nothing wrong with pulling a Release Candidate of Buster and giving it a go. IIRC they plan to release in a couple days. Hardly bleeding edge at this point.

Big thanks to Rand's help and script in setting up Raspberry Pints!

One question I have is getting all 8 taps to show in chromium in full screen. With a 27-in monitor, I can only get 5 to show and have to scroll to see the rest. Is there a way to get all 8 to show without changing the zoom in the chromium browser? When I do that, it makes the text very small and hard to see even with that size monitor. I figured I should easily get 8 to show with that large of a monitor, but I am not sure of the correct way to format it. Any help is appreciated!

Big thanks to Rand's help and script in setting up Raspberry Pints!

One question I have is getting all 8 taps to show in chromium in full screen. With a 27-in monitor, I can only get 5 to show and have to scroll to see the rest. Is there a way to get all 8 to show without changing the zoom in the chromium browser? When I do that, it makes the text very small and hard to see even with that size monitor. I figured I should easily get 8 to show with that large of a monitor, but I am not sure of the correct way to format it. Any help is appreciated!

In the Admin Config try checking the high resolution monitor setting. If this doesn't work find the style being used and modify/tweak the CSS.

1 step forward and 2 steps backward...

I surf to http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ and download the Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software. Download fails several times (probably times out). Very, very slow. After restarting the download several times I finally obtain the download.

Unzip the download and I have 2019-06-20-raspbian-buster-full.img instead of the expected .iso

Didn't have these issues with Raspbian Debian 9.x

Searching the 'net I find
"Considerations
There is no difference in the structure of ISO and IMG formats if the IMG file is uncompressed. It is possible for an IMG format file to be renamed with the ISO file extension and then opened in software that only recognizes the ISO file format. This is an effective way of accessing disc information in programs that do not handle the IMG format."

If you are looking for Raspbian Desktop (i.e. for a VM) that's not the right link. Buster has not been released yet in that format. For the Pi, most image writing programs these days accept the zipped image, no need to unzip. Balena Etcher for instance.

If you are looking for Raspbian Desktop (i.e. for a VM) that's not the right link. Buster has not been released yet in that format. For the Pi, most image writing programs these days accept the zipped image, no need to unzip. Balena Etcher for instance.

Sorry, use VMWare Workstation and not about to change. VMWare wants an ISO.

If Raspbian Buster (aka 10) Desktop currently isn't available for downloading I'll just have to wait until it is ready for this exercise.

However, based on the prior update, I doubt the newer OS will cause problems with Raspberry Pints. The prior upgrade, in January 2019, was mainly due to php upgrade (and security items being implemented in php) and switching from MySQL to MariaDB.

Also, I cleaned up a LOT of unnecessary logic, faulty logic, switching in the original Raspberry Pints. Doubt upgrading the OS to Buster will impact the Raspberry Pints (at least using my version) logic this time.

This is going to be an adventure in homebrew for sure: I recently purchased 7 of the swiss flow meters. I am yet to purchase any of the other components as a lot of the ones on the raspberrypints tutorial site seem outdated. This kegerator deserves a proper digital tap board with keg level monitoring. Could someone please help me out with an updated part list for this build?

Attachments

• IMG_3522.jpg
    IMG_3522.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 108
Okay so .... @Tobor_8thMan and @RandR+ I especially wanted you to see this post.

I made a script to install Tobor's zipfile. I suspect it could be used fairly easily on RandR's repo as well (please grab it if so with my blessing, or ask if you have questions). I'm coming at this from a "if we ask the user to type more than one line to install, it's not done" place. Right now both of you are going different directions (which is cool, open source and all that) and out of the blue I saw a commit to the "Official" RPints repo earlier this week. So the folks following along or the ones joining every week and asking what should be a VERY simple question, have no idea what to do.

My heartfelt suggestion would be to merge the projects. Since Tobor's work is not on GitHub that would be a largely manual process, but I think it would benefit everyone.

Anyway, to the install script, the GitHub is here. End users do not need to go to GitHub, nor do they need to download the zip file above. End users need only issue the following command:
Code:
curl -L rpints-tobor.brewpiremix.com | sudo bash
This works on a clean Raspbian Stretch installation. End users will be prompted to change passwords, host name, apt updates, etc. Nothing else needs to be done other than get a new Raspberry Pi running and on the network. After the script is done, they access RPints via a web browser and continue the configuration.

One issue that came up (that I can't reproduce) is the inability to get to the phpmyadmin page after install. This is an issue with the apt packages not fully setting that up - no idea why. If someone runs into that they can run the following:
Code:
sudo ln -sf /etc/apache2/conf-available/phpmyadmin.conf /etc/phpmyadmin/apache.conf
sudo ln -sf /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/phpmyadmin.conf /etc/apache2/conf-available/phpmyadmin.conf
sudo systemctl restart apache2
So, there's my contribution to the cause as a non-RPints user.

Thank you to @day_trippr for his assistance getting this running.

I just did a fresh install using NOOBS v3.2.0 to install Raspbian, then used your first command to install RaspberryPints (didn't need the next two). This is SOOOOO much easier than when I installed it previously. Thank you for your help in streamlining the install process!

Last edited:
IMG_0921.JPG

I’m about to get everything wired up. Does anyone see anything wrong with using stainless barb connectors instead of the John guest connectors?
I was thinking metal on plastic treads might be a no-no but I just don’t like the John guest fittings.

One advantage of the JG fittings (with compatible tubing) is it avoids ID changes, so presumably less turbulent flow.
That said, with non-compatible tubing (as I believe the defacto standard Bevlex 200 solid PVC 3/16" ID-7/16" OD tubing is) one ends up using the JG stemmed barb inserts anyway (what I did).

Based on my using the latter configuration across six beer lines over the last five years running RaspberryPints with SF800 flow meters with extremely good results, there's a good chance your fittings won't cause any issues. What I would recommend (strongly) is you locate the flow meters as close as practical to the keg end (mine are 8" of tubing from the QD - enough to straighten the flow coming out of the post/QD interface but still close to the keg) and use at least as much beer line as specified in the only beer line length calculator worth using...

Cheers!

I was able to download the files, but when I run tap_manager.php I get an error that Class 'Manager" not found on line 7
How are you running tap_manager.php?

Could you post the last few lines from /var/log/apache2/error.log

This is going to be my next project and this thread looks like it has a wealth of knowledge and people contributing to it. But I'm not finding a definitive hardware/parts list to get started with, is there not a single page sticky that defines this? With all the versions of RaspberryPi (not to mention I see others on here building it out with Arduino) out there this quickly gets confusing. Can someone point me to the no-fail grocery list to get started with?

Back