[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you know all the values (empty keg weight, current keg weight, temp, pressure, altitude, and specific gravity), you could just retap it as long as you have the keg vlume kalculator mod installed, alternatively here's the Excel spreadsheet version:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/633022/

Keg Volume Calculator
Cheers,

Kal
That is probably the most practical way of doing it, but it does require some manual manipulation or record keeping.

I started really caring about actual volumes of beer in the kegs since I got rpints running. Looking at your spreadsheet seems like just using the weight of water for estimating volume I was about a little over a half pint off for my normal beers.

That is probably the most practical way of doing it, but it does require some manual manipulation or record keeping.

I started really caring about actual volumes of beer in the kegs since I got rpints running. Looking at your spreadsheet seems like just using the weight of water for estimating volume I was about a little over a half pint off for my normal beers.
Yeah, for starters your weight of water is probably based on the weight of water at sea level, also you need to adjust for the additional weight of beer versus water based on the final gravity of your beer, plus if the keg is pressurised you need to compensate for the weight of the disolved CO2 according to Henry's Law (which increases for lower gravity beers and decreases for higher gravity beers). Simple [emoji6]

i was going to do an external usb wifi as my next move as i have good luck with one of those on another pi that is in a poor signal spot so it acts as like an external antenna. Good news is tonight on a hunch I took my pi off the keggerator hooked an hdmi tv to my pi and to my surprise lightning bolts on the display meaning low supply power.... i changed to a different micro usb cable and it went away and so far ive stayed connected... fingers crossed i found the culprit as it might have been a bad cable even though i changed to a more powerful 3 amp power supply.
I returned my first rpi and the replacement behaved the same as the first. I tried swapping the power supplies and it seems the losing wifi follows the power supply. I do get times when both seem to lose wifi at the same time so it might not just be the power supply for me, but whichever one is powered by the original power supply loses it more often.

Try running this Script on the pi:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rtlindne/RaspberryPints/master/util/installRaspberryPints
simply download it to the pi and run
# i.e. "chmod +x installRaspberryPints"
# i.e. "sudo ./installRaspberryPints"

Ive made some updates to it in the past month that should make it work on the latest Stretch version
Ran this script on a rpi3B with stretch, and I can get the Rpints display to work but no flowmonitor action.
At first the display did not autostart and I had to create a directory and autostart file to get chromium to work.

sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon status

show the process/service running but "ps aux" shows nothing

found the stretch information file(the one with spaces in the file name) and walked thru that afterwards and still no flowmonitor action.

Any suggestions on what to try?

edit:
maybe flowmonitor is working/running but I do not get changes to the keg volume when pulse information is sent.

Also I using a UNO not alamode

Last edited:
If I run the serial monitor in Arduino I can see the pulse messages

Did you enter a conversion amount on the taps screen?

Check /var/log/rpints.log if there is an exception or error in it, PM me the file an I will check it out.

to follow the log use the following command
tail -f /var/log/rpints.log

Did you enter a conversion amount on the taps screen?

Check /var/log/rpints.log if there is an exception or error in it, PM me the file an I will check it out.

to follow the log use the following command
tail -f /var/log/rpints.log
I will send you the file, but just wondering why you keep reflashing the uno?

edit:
Looked at your Arduino code, seems you made changes and so have I. I have some code to fake the flowmeters and looks like you have greatly enhanced the original rpints sketch.

Last edited:
I will send you the file, but just wondering why you keep reflashing the uno?

to be honest, I took someone else code that had it that way. I think it to make sure the latest is running on the Shield. It is especially helpful for the first time the shield is booted up because there is no need to manual upload the sketch to the shield.

Its simple enough to stop it by removing the cpp.hex from Arduino/raspberrypints

I apologize for the beginner question... I just joined this thread in an attempt to get my RaspberryPints working and have tried scanning through all 106 pages but still having issues.

I bought a kit off amazon with a Raspberry Pi 3 already loaded with Raspian software. I updated/upgraded as suggested. I can make it half way through Step 4 (no pumps) but can't get the LAMP software to load. I found another blog post that suggested:

sudo apt install apache2 phpmyadmin

However that keeps giving me error messages (2002 can't connect to local MySQL server through socket). After several hours of searching online I am no closer to figuring this out. Any advice? Or better yet, anyone have a functional SD card image that I could just etch on mine?

Thanks!!
Josh

I apologize for the beginner question... I just joined this thread in an attempt to get my RaspberryPints working and have tried scanning through all 106 pages but still having issues.

I bought a kit off amazon with a Raspberry Pi 3 already loaded with Raspian software. I updated/upgraded as suggested. I can make it half way through Step 4 (no pumps) but can't get the LAMP software to load. I found another blog post that suggested:

sudo apt install apache2 phpmyadmin

However that keeps giving me error messages (2002 can't connect to local MySQL server through socket). After several hours of searching online I am no closer to figuring this out. Any advice? Or better yet, anyone have a functional SD card image that I could just etch on mine?

Thanks!!
Josh
Do you know which version you are running jessie or stretch?
what does it say when enter this
cat /etc/os-release

The package released with Stretch is a problem as the stock Raspberry Pints kit is frankly incompatible.
While there is an effort to migrate the original code that appears oh-so-close to completion there is an already extant alternative in @RandR+'s version...

Cheers!

I deleted all the files off my SD card and downloaded the jessie noobs zip file as recommended. I tried to just etch the file on to the SD card but wrong architecture, so instead I unzipped the file and copied/pasted all the files individually onto the SD card (took out of main folder). However when I plug it back into my Raspberry pi I get that rainbow screen and won't go away. I'm done for tonight, but any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Josh,

What you went through would not have ended up successfully. There is a difference between how you do Noobs and how you do a regular distribution. Give me a few to get to the office and I will reply with enough information to at least get you running Jesse correctly.

Josh, here's how to get going:

I wrote a tutorial on how to get a Raspberry Pi working "Headless" but you can follow these instructions (with one difference) and use a Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor if you like:

Off With Her Head!

When it gets to the part about downloading a server image, instead of getting one of the Stretch images I link to, use this last official Jessie version from the raspberrypi.org website:

2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie.zip

The rest of the instructions should be fine for you. If you choose to use a keyboard/monitor/mouse, you can ignore the part about using "Headless Pi" to set up your networking. Just set the network up after you get booted.

I think the reason you had issues is you sorta mixed different paths (Noobs and a normal Raspbian image.) Noobs relies on a clean SD card, with one partition formatted with FAT. A Raspbian image creates a card with two partitions, one small FAT partition named "boot" and another partition using a Linux file system unreadable by most computers. These are both created automatically when you write the image to the SD card with something like balenaEtcher. After you run the setup from Noobs, it creates that two partition setup for you.

BY FAR I think balenaEtcher is the easiest way to go, since it does not care what used to be on your card. If you try to use Noobs on a card that was already configured as a RPi card, you will find you run out of space. Most Windows tools will not remove that Linux partition. You can do it manually, but since there's a tool that will do it for you (balenaEtcher), go with that.

So, beeing new to this forum, this thread and Rpi, I've been skimming trough this whole thread (took a good couple of days). I have a Rpi 3B and and a few flowmeters (Swiss) on the way. Th Rpi3B comes with a memorycard with Noobs preinstalled. I also got a clone of an Uno card, a 7" touch screen and some bits and pieces to og with it, so I'm just about ready to start my FIRST Rpi Project. I think I have got the basic idea on how to proceed (start trying and failing), but one question remains before I jump in.

Do I go with jessie and the procedure described in this post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...-taplist-solution.487694/page-67#post-8040187 mentioned several times above,

OR

is the better option to go with Stretch and @RandR 's version?

Are there any key differences one should know about beforehand? If this has been adressed earlier I apologize for overlooking it.

Josh, here's how to get going:

I wrote a tutorial on how to get a Raspberry Pi working "Headless" but you can follow these instructions (with one difference) and use a Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor if you like:

Off With Her Head!

When it gets to the part about downloading a server image, instead of getting one of the Stretch images I link to, use this last official Jessie version from the raspberrypi.org website:

2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie.zip

The rest of the instructions should be fine for you. If you choose to use a keyboard/monitor/mouse, you can ignore the part about using "Headless Pi" to set up your networking. Just set the network up after you get booted.

I think the reason you had issues is you sorta mixed different paths (Noobs and a normal Raspbian image.) Noobs relies on a clean SD card, with one partition formatted with FAT. A Raspbian image creates a card with two partitions, one small FAT partition named "boot" and another partition using a Linux file system unreadable by most computers. These are both created automatically when you write the image to the SD card with something like balenaEtcher. After you run the setup from Noobs, it creates that two partition setup for you.

BY FAR I think balenaEtcher is the easiest way to go, since it does not care what used to be on your card. If you try to use Noobs on a card that was already configured as a RPi card, you will find you run out of space. Most Windows tools will not remove that Linux partition. You can do it manually, but since there's a tool that will do it for you (balenaEtcher), go with that.

Josh did not explicitly say so, but t seems he has a 3B+, will you procedure work for loading jessie on a 3B+?

Are there any key differences one should know about beforehand? If this has been adressed earlier I apologize for overlooking it.

Going with Jessie is a very valid option and it works for the original RaspberryPints code. @Tobor_8thMan and @kaljade are working on updating that code to work on Stretch as I'm sure you read.

For my version there are a few benefits:
1. It has an install script that makes setting up the Pi and RaspberryPints easy. (with a little work with how the admin user is created it should work for the original code too)
2. I am actively trying to add features to my version.

The biggest downside to my version is that its just me working on it and I make mistakes so something might be broken, but I am willing to work with anyone who wants to report issues

Code is modified. We're currently in the testing phase.
Apologies to all for the testing delays, between the sustained extended work hours with my new job, and my birthday this past weekend, I've been spread a bit then.

I will carve out some time the next few evenings, so we should have some documented steps by the end of the week.

Cheers,

Kal

Josh did not explicitly say so, but t seems he has a 3B+, will you procedure work for loading jessie on a 3B+?
Nope! :)

Josh, I found this about running jessie on a 3B+, seems like you need a 3B as well to load the appropriate drivers
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/81725/raspbian-8-on-raspberry-pi-3-b

When I bought my rpi I went with the 3B so I could run jessie.
The StackExchange solutions seems solid. As you point out, getting a 3B would be needed no matter what apparently. That's a bummer.

The 3B+ cannot use a stock Wheezy or Jessie kit as neither has the firmware to run the 3B+ SOC.
As alluded above, if one has any other RPi one can upgrade a Jessie kit with the firmware needed for the 3B+ then sneaker-net the SD card.
I've done this myself; these are the commands I used:

Code:
sudo rpi-update ef7621d91cb58ccc856c3c17ddda28685edd23f3
sudo wget https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-brcm80211_20161130-3+rpt3_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i firmware-brcm80211_20161130-3+rpt3_all.deb

Cheers!

[edit] Just realized there was a link a few posts up to the same StackExchange page I referenced when I picked up my first 3B+.

Last edited:
RandR+
I downloaded the latest software (Stretch), booted up fine. I downloaded your script (using 2nd link). I then entered the two commands in your last post. The first one I assume worked. The second one loads fine but then I get an error because php5 and php5-mysql "is not available" and "has no installation candidate".

I searched the forum, found a post from you back in June that suggested "install libapache2-mod-php7.0 and php7.0-mysql" which I did. However I am still getting the same error above.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I had a look at the install scripts and it is referencing php5 for Jessie explicitly. If I'm following along, you are trying to use Stretch? If so, something is wrong with the logic in the script. It also means Jessie never would have worked for you either.

I'm also REAL confused about WTH a "FLOW_MEATERS' is .... :confused:

RandR+
I downloaded the latest software (Stretch), booted up fine. I downloaded your script (using 2nd link). I then entered the two commands in your last post. The first one I assume worked. The second one loads fine but then I get an error because php5 and php5-mysql "is not available" and "has no installation candidate".

I searched the forum, found a post from you back in June that suggested "install libapache2-mod-php7.0 and php7.0-mysql" which I did. However I am still getting the same error above.

Any ideas?

from bash run
. /etc/os-release
echo $VERSION | grep -oP '(?<=\()[^\)]+'

It should print Jessie or Stretch. that is what the script uses to determine what packages to install.

it is odd that its trying to install php5, but if it truly is stretch that would explain that error.

I had no problem running the following installs from my pi or my virtuals
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-php7.0
sudo apt-get install php7.0-mysql

Okay, here's a Jessie image for 3B+ users. First, the changelog to the 2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie image:
Code:
sudo PRUNE_MODULES=1 rpi-update ef7621d91cb58ccc856c3c17ddda28685edd23f3
sudo wget https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-brcm80211_20161130-3+rpt3_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i firmware-brcm80211_20161130-3+rpt3_all.deb
sudo rm firmware-brcm80211_20161130-3+rpt3_all.deb
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -y
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean

The image is set to US UTF-8 Locale, US Keyboard, US Wifi Country, no wireless network currently configured, ssh off, default Raspbian password, Central US timezone. Why US? Because I'm in the US and that's how I set things. It's such a PIA to change FROM the GB settings since raspi-config is buggy, I use a script every time. Not in the US? Welcome to my hell.

I booted it once on my 3B+, wireless works, that's all that I really tested.

Hopefully the upgrade saves people time and does not screw things up. If it does, I'm sure someone will tell me pretty quickly and I'll re-do the image.

The image was on an 8 gig SD card, so you'll need an 8 GB or larger to burn it.

Link: Jessie-for-3B-Plus.zip

Probably a dumb question, but does anyone have a drawing or a photo of how to hook up several Swiss SF800 flowmeters to the arduino uno? As there is only one pwr and gnd out for the uno card, I assume there has to be a breadboard or some soldering involved?

Thx.

is it possible the PIR is firing so frequently it doesn't allow the screensaver to actually kick in?
There are two adjustments on the PIR. Try increasing the retrigger delay pot...

Cheers!
Thought it was timely to provide an update. Finally managed to get back to this and try again. After all else failed I unplugged the PIR and plugged in another (my order included 3 of them) and everything worked perfectly. I guess these things are mass produced and this one was causing repetitive triggers for some reason. All good now. One more quick question, I want to create a new image of my SD card and the last one took hours to complete (using a mac from terminal) I see a post about creating an image using the pi, can this be done using the card slot on the Alamode board?

Thanks for that update, you had left me scratching my noggin' to come with some other explanation :)

As for using the uSD card slot on the Alamode as a disk drive for RPi backups, I don't think the slot is visible to the RPi directly. So you'd likely have to load a sketch on the Alamode to link it to the RPi - over the serial link - which isn't going to be a very fast solution compared to just plugging a cheap SD card reader directly into the RPi and using either the built-in SD Card Copier utility (you'll find it nested in the gui "start" menu) or using the rpi-clone application you'll find mentioned in this thread...

Cheers!

Back