[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured it out. i disabled the flow meter column and everything worked. I assume since I didnt have a pin, it failed. although it might be nice to have some error handling around it. It is, or should I say was, a vanilla build.

I dont know if anyone else has had this issue or knows how to resolve it but any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to change the background image but can not seem to get it to change. If I do it remotely from my desktop computer it will show as being changed once I reload the page. Yet when I go back to the tap list on the actual RaspberryPi itself it will not update the background even though if I log in to the setting menu on the RaspberryPi it shows the image I uploaded within the the settings page but still not changed when got back to the tap list. Have even tried to upload the image directly on the RaspberryPi as well and even then will update the background when tap list is viewed remotely but still not showing up on the tap list on the RaspberryPi.

Yes, I have restarted it, refreshed the page in the browser as well, still wont change. Yet it is changed when I log in remotely.

Jeeze, that's pretty weird.
Only thing I can think of is to check the permissions on the local image copy and make sure they're wide open...

Cheers!

I vaguely recall having the same issue way back when, I think from memory the solution was to rename my new background image to match the one in the /img directory (ensuring same file format too of course), then using SFTP client to overwrite existing with new

I looked into doing that and then i go into the file explorer in the Raspberry Pi and navigate to the /img directory it shows a thumbnail of what it it supposed to be and even when i change the background remotely through the RaspberryPints interface I see the thumbnail immediately change to whatever image I upload yet still wont change when i view the taplist on the RaspberryPi. I have no idea what is going on here.

I looked into doing that and then i go into the file explorer in the Raspberry Pi and navigate to the /img directory it shows a thumbnail of what it it supposed to be and even when i change the background remotely through the RaspberryPints interface I see the thumbnail immediately change to whatever image I upload yet still wont change when i view the taplist on the RaspberryPi. I have no idea what is going on here.

Only two more things it can be:
1. Browser cache needs to be cleared (CTRL + F5 should do it)
2. File permissions there's a couple of ways to fix that, but try step 1 first

Was hoping that someone can assist on this more me. Running an rp3 with Jessie and Firefox. Everything was working fine and the pours were showing in the browser just fine. Today all of a sudden Firefox is not updating after the pour. You have to refresh the browser to get the pour to update. How can you code to get Firefox to update every 30 seconds or so?

Any chance your optical registration is off by one pin? ;)

I've never run into an issue like that, but if I did the first thing I'd do is get a fresh copy of the raspberrypints.ino file and start over.
And double check my wiring.

fwiw, I run six taps and use digital IO 2 and 5 through 9, and have not had a single problem in over two years.

Back when we first got the flow meters working I tried using 2 through 7 but had unresolved issues with 3 and 4.
On the AlaMode digital IO 3 is shared with the RTC chip on the back of the board so potential conflict there seemed logical, but I was never able to find a similar shared status for digital IO 4. As I didn't need to use it I simply avoided it as well...

Cheers!

Just to test things out and make sure I'm not losing my mind and plugging things in in the wrong place I have only one sensor plugged in to pin 2 on the UNO (which is connected to the RPi3 through USB). I also flashed a fresh .ino with just pin 2 mentioned. It's working but it's updating the pour count to my tap #3 on the taplist. :confused::confused:

Just to be clear, I'm using the numbers printed on the board itself. Is this correct?

uno.png

Was hoping that someone can assist on this more me. Running an rp3 with Jessie and Firefox. Everything was working fine and the pours were showing in the browser just fine. Today all of a sudden Firefox is not updating after the pour. You have to refresh the browser to get the pour to update. How can you code to get Firefox to update every 30 seconds or so?

In your index.php file add the following line:

Code:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="30">

Like this:

PHP:
<html>
	<head>
		<title>RaspberryPints</title>
		<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
		<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="30">

<!-- Set location of Cascading Style Sheet -->
		<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">

<?php if($config[ConfigNames::UseHighResolution]) { ?>
			<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="high-res.css">
		<?php } ?>

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="img/pint.ico">
	</head>
Cheers,

Kal

Just to test things out and make sure I'm not losing my mind and plugging things in in the wrong place I have only one sensor plugged in to pin 2 on the UNO (which is connected to the RPi3 through USB). I also flashed a fresh .ino with just pin 2 mentioned. It's working but it's updating the pour count to my tap #3 on the taplist. :confused::confused:

Just to be clear, I'm using the numbers printed on the board itself. Is this correct?

uno.png

In the raspberry pints software, when you are tapping a keg, you set the pin number that you have that flow meter connected to, to the tap number on your tap list. Check the settings on the beer you have hooked up to tap #3 and make sure that tap doesn't have pin 2 assigned to it.

In the raspberry pints software, when you are tapping a keg, you set the pin number that you have that flow meter connected to, to the tap number on your tap list. Check the settings on the beer you have hooked up to tap #3 and make sure that tap doesn't have pin 2 assigned to it.

Man, when you get this deep into it it really is the simplest of things that you forget. Haha.

Thanks! :mug:

Only two more things it can be:
1. Browser cache needs to be cleared (CTRL + F5 should do it)
2. File permissions there's a couple of ways to fix that, but try step 1 first

I had never heard of the ctrl+F5 trick until you mentioned it last week or so. It works so well! Thanks again! FYI, I just mounted the monitor onto my kegerator door. Looks awesome! I've got my motion sensor mounted on the side so it "sees" me and turns off screensaver before I see the monitor. Pretty slick!

I thought I read somewhere on here about connecting to the DB remotely (through the web interface) but maybe i was just imagining it. How can I connect to the DB? And can I do it remotely or do I have to be on the PI itself. I want to just get in and dig around a bit.

Install phpmyadmin on the RPi.
It is a "web app" that can be accessed locally or remotely from anything with a decent browser.
[edit] Note that when you run phpmyadmin from wherever you need to log into it using the same credentials used during the Mysql installation for it to find the Raspberrypints database.
Generally, that would be 'root' with whatever password was used.

Cheers!

thanks that did it. I apparently had it installed - I was using phpmysql instead of phpmyadmin. Now let's hope I don't break anything :)

As long as you're in there not breaking stuff, you may want to take a look at the "pours" table. When the Pints software is installed, the table isn't set up to put a date/time stamp on the pour. If you enable that stamp, it makes troubleshooting phantom pours much easier since you can see pours very close together in time or at odd times of the day. If you don't have that set, the time date just shows "null". I also envision the time stamp will come in handy as my boys become teenagers.

Good idea - haven't had that issue as yet. (knock on wood - although I did have a problem with pin 11 affect pin 10 so I just moved it to pin 5 - likely my shoddy soldering) Is that just setting the default on the ModifiedDate column to Current_Timestamp? I would think that's on the insert into the table (sort of remember that in old posts) but if this does it automatically I'm fine with that. I do software as my job so diving into databases, software etc isn't new to me although php is new and I've got very limited css and javascript experience I can be dangerous enough to play around. Already rearranged the index page and did some minor tweaks to the php and css files. Just stuff in terms of how I want it to look but that'll be a never ending process.

Yup, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.

I use the Search tool on the Pours table filtering with a tapid to look for outliers when a keg is nearing the end.
I'll occasionally find a pint worth of tiny pours...

Cheers!

As long as you're in there not breaking stuff, you may want to take a look at the "pours" table. When the Pints software is installed, the table isn't set up to put a date/time stamp on the pour. If you enable that stamp, it makes troubleshooting phantom pours much easier since you can see pours very close together in time or at odd times of the day. If you don't have that set, the time date just shows "null". I also envision the time stamp will come in handy as my boys become teenagers.

Speaking of teenage boys, here's how RPints caught mine in the act:

screenshot_20170510-145735-68288.png

Gentlemen,

First off, let me say thank you to those that have contributed to this and the original thread. I wish I had taken the time to read all of both of them BEFORE I made a parts order, LOL.

I'm working on an install on the RP3B that was installed using the current version of NOOBS to load Raspbian. I'm waiting for the Adafruit flow sensors to ship, they're currently on backorder, and thought I would knock out a majority of the system installation, save the hardware.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Chromium is supported on the current version of Jessie, although that may have contributed to some of my errors. First off, I'm a newb when it comes to Linux. I managed to remove my permissions from the /var/www directory relatively quickly when the commands didn't work exactly as written. Luckily I am a master of Google-Fu and fixed it. So far I've spent about 3.5 hours fumbling through this install and I've only come to two issues. My first is I can't seem to get Chromium to autostart and direct it to my server. My second is I cannot, for the life of me, get the flowmeter function to work. Each time I run the command line it returns a "failure".

I should mention I plan on running an Alamode board - like I said, wish I had finished reading first. All that said, the first round of popcorn is on me. I'll give it another run in a few days when all the pieces are finally here and I'm no longer sleep deprived from work.

Gentlemen,

First off, let me say thank you to those that have contributed to this and the original thread. I wish I had taken the time to read all of both of them BEFORE I made a parts order, LOL.

I'm working on an install on the RP3B that was installed using the current version of NOOBS to load Raspbian. I'm waiting for the Adafruit flow sensors to ship, they're currently on backorder, and thought I would knock out a majority of the system installation, save the hardware.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Chromium is supported on the current version of Jessie, although that may have contributed to some of my errors. First off, I'm a newb when it comes to Linux. I managed to remove my permissions from the /var/www directory relatively quickly when the commands didn't work exactly as written. Luckily I am a master of Google-Fu and fixed it. So far I've spent about 3.5 hours fumbling through this install and I've only come to two issues. My first is I can't seem to get Chromium to autostart and direct it to my server. My second is I cannot, for the life of me, get the flowmeter function to work. Each time I run the command line it returns a "failure".

I should mention I plan on running an Alamode board - like I said, wish I had finished reading first. All that said, the first round of popcorn is on me. I'll give it another run in a few days when all the pieces are finally here and I'm no longer sleep deprived from work.

Hi there! day_trippr put a really good post on install updates on post# 2643. For Chromium to start on autostart, do the following:

- Instead of using the autostart file shown in the instructions as
/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

use

/home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

- and instead of adding

@chromium --kiosk localhost

add

@chromium-browser --incognito --start-fullscreen localhost

As for the sensors failing, i'm thinking that since you do not have the actual sensors installed, they cannot provide any feedback to the programs. If you disable them until you install the hardware, it should work. TheSkaz had an issue where this resolved it in the last week or so. Post# 2681 and the preceding few posts.

Hi there! day_trippr put a really good post on install updates on post# 2643. For Chromium to start on autostart, do the following:

As for the sensors failing, i'm thinking that since you do not have the actual sensors installed, they cannot provide any feedback to the programs. If you disable them until you install the hardware, it should work. TheSkaz had an issue where this resolved it in the last week or so. Post# 2681 and the preceding few posts.

Yup, skipped right over day_trippr's update post and was following post 2204 (I think) instead. That's the problem with me trying to read over 30 pages of posts in a day.

As for the sensors, you are correct. They haven't shipped yet. The website shows they are on backorder.

- Instead of using the autostart file shown in the instructions as
/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

use

/home/pi/config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

Should the latter location already exist? It doesn't on my installation, however the former does. It just doesn't autostart Chromium.

EDIT:

Fixed it. My file location was actually:

Pulls up perfectly now. All I need to do now is solder up my alamode, wait on the flow meters, and get that side installed properly.

Should the latter location already exist? It doesn't on my installation, however the former does. It just doesn't autostart Chromium.

EDIT:

Fixed it. My file location was actually:

Pulls up perfectly now. All I need to do now is solder up my alamode, wait on the flow meters, and get that side installed properly.

You're totally right. I fixed my post so others will find it in the right location. Good luck with the sensors!

Thanks to all those who have worked so hard and collaboratively to get newbies like me up and running. So, I am running Pints on a RPi 3, with a UNO to monitor my DIGITEN flow meters. I've added the HC SR501 PIR motion sensor for the screen saver. All was working great, but if it still were I wouldn't be writing. I have two questions.

1) did anyone have success in getting the motion sensor and screen saver to move a display into power saving mode? Please inform.

2) can anyone suggest a solution to my problem? I was finding that the motion sensors were plenty sensitive for my installation, which has my keezer and display in our kids' old toy closet. Thus, I mounted the sensor to my near ceiling height display pointed down and attached it to the back of the display, such that the display partially blocked the sensor. Once adjusted, this way it only turned the screen on when I entered the closet. It was sweet, and working great. However, the Velcro I used to mount the sensor allowed some range of movement of the sensor. The other day, I was trying to adjust and better affix it. The result was that the sensor is no longer controlling the screen saver. The only change was physical configuration.

Since, I have run pir_test.py to confirm sensor function, and it detects motion. I have also tried rebooting. No change.

Any ideas?

FWIW, here is my autostart file -

IMG_1078.jpg

Thanks to all those who have worked so hard and collaboratively to get newbies like me up and running. So, I am running Pints on a RPi 3, with a UNO to monitor my DIGITEN flow meters. I've added the HC SR501 PIR motion sensor for the screen saver. All was working great, but if it still were I wouldn't be writing. I have two questions.

1) did anyone have success in getting the motion sensor and screen saver to move a display into power saving mode? Please inform.

2) can anyone suggest a solution to my problem? I was finding that the motion sensors were plenty sensitive for my installation, which has my keezer and display in our kids' old toy closet. Thus, I mounted the sensor to my near ceiling height display pointed down and attached it to the back of the display, such that the display partially blocked the sensor. Once adjusted, this way it only turned the screen on when I entered the closet. It was sweet, and working great. However, the Velcro I used to mount the sensor allowed some range of movement of the sensor. The other day, I was trying to adjust and better affix it. The result was that the sensor is no longer controlling the screen saver. The only change was physical configuration.

Since, I have run pir_test.py to confirm sensor function, and it detects motion. I have also tried rebooting. No change.

Any ideas?

FWIW, here is my autostart file -
Okay, so I still welcome responses to my first question, and my second for that matter, but I wanted to provide an update. Thinking of other things I could test/try, I switched out the motion sensor and DuPont wires for my spare and new ones, respectively - no effect. I inspected my autostart file (see prior post), and it appeared correct. I elected to save it without changing a thing. I shut the Pi down, installed the original sensor, and restarted. NOW it seems to work. Huh?

Well, I was surprised the first reboot didn't fix whatever was broke :)
You said your testing demonstrated the PIR was firing, and didn't indicate you had been mucking about with the software side of your installation, so...

As for the first question: getting an admittedly ancient but fully functional 19" 4:3 DVI display to go to sleep was my White Whale (as documented in either this thread or the old one).

But after months of protracted battle I finally got over it.
I rationalize having my taplist backlight on 24/7 against the surprisingly stingy electrical consumption of my keezer - which uses only milliamps more juice than the stupid display :D

Anyway...if you dig a bit you'll see you can use CEC commands on an amenable HDMI display to put it to bed and back. I had that much running when using one of my three workstation displays, but there's no way I'm sticking a 27" screen atop my t-tower. If/when that old 19" dies I'll deal with it then...

Cheers!

I began my quest to get power save to work, but alas, abandoned and opted to just turn the damn monitor off when i'm not using it. Not as elegant a solution, but darnit, it works! :) I'm all ears if you find a solution. All the solutions I was able to find were for other variants of Linux and did not work on Raspbian, at least, not for my monitor. The trial and error also started making my PIRs stop working with xscreensaver, so i opted to stop screwing around with it and just finish up the project. :)

I'm all ears if you find a solution.

I went with a hardware based solution as I'm no good at software. I installed a motion detector connected to an SSR relay. Ran 12v from a wall-wart through the PIR to the input side of the relay. Ran 120v from an outlet through the control leg of the SSR to a plug end. Plug the monitor into that - every time I walked downstairs the monitor turned on. When I left, it turned off, like OFF off, not "power save" off. All you need to do is confirm that your monitor remembers its previous operating status when power is cycled.

-Kevin

Trying to install Rpints on XMAPP server on windows to play with before moving to set up the Rpi3. Getting this error.. anyone have this or have a solution? Confused as it is connected to DB....

Validating Entries...Success!
Checking DB connectivity...Success!
Checking config folder permissions...Success!
Update config files...Success!
Update admin config files...Success!
Creating RPints database user...Success!
Running Database Script...
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in X:\XAMPP\htdocs\RasP\install\includes\configprocessor.php:167 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in X:\XAMPP\htdocs\RasP\install\includes\configprocessor.php on line 167

Line 167: mysql_connect($servername,'root',$rootpass) or die('error connection');

Following the Install w/o flow sensors (because I don't yet have them) online at http://raspberrypints.com and updates in post 2643, but I get this error when installing php5-mysql:

Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get -y install php5-mysql
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 php5-mysql : Depends: libmysqlclient18 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I am still searching online for possible solutions, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Greetings, "Gallen", and welcome to HBT!

If this is a new Raspbian Jessie build, have you expanded the file system yet?
This can be done via the desktop gui or via the command line using raspi-config

$ sudo raspi-config

I believe the very first entry is to expand the root file system.

Assuming the file system has been expanded, before installing mysql, do an update of your local package directory:

$ sudo apt-get update

then do the mysql install.

Hopefully this will get you moving again.

Cheers!

Also if you intend to put in flow meters go ahead and install for them so you don't have to fight with all that when the sensors arrive tomorrow

Back