[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm not sure how it happened, but now the keg is listed as "Full" just like it's supposed to after I kicked it and tapped a new one. Clearly it was operator error on my part. Anyway, it's working now. Sorry again about the confusion, day_trippr.

Thanks to the flow meters, discovered yesterday that one of my roomates is dipping into my kegerator. Didnt start happening until one of them realized I had an oktoberfest on tap. I wonder which one it was... hmmm......

Now I need to find a way to find a way to make rpints take a picture or facial recognition those who drink my beer like what this guy did.
http://philsprojects.wordpress.com/2014/
Maybe somehow use a webcam as the motion sensor for the display as well.

You should be able to add something to the arduino code that snaps a photo via a usb webcam.

A fairly practical solution would involve a USB cam connected to the RPi, and then have the flow_monitor python script call an OS command to trigger a picture after it registers the pour data. I bet you could cobble the code chunks from examples.

Alternatively, my PIR setup could do the triggering, but there's the issue of distance and positive ID: capturing someone actually operating the faucet handle would be positively damning evidence, as opposed to catching someone approaching the dispensing appliance (who knows - said someone might have had a change of heart ;))

There's an example of coding up an OS command inside a python script in my PIR kit...

Cheers!

Is the website going to be updated with all the various files and hot-fixes? My only frustration has been having to go back through the thread numerous times to find the latest versions of certain files and how to patch them in. Having the latest and greatest on the website would be very helpful.

+1 to BadNewsBrewery's question.

I am finally getting around to upgrading my version 1 install to version 2.

Does the version linked to by way of the green "latest release" button on the git hub (which is where the "download now" link from raspberrypints.com points) have the most current files? Or do we also need to apply the hot fixes?

[...]
Does the version linked to by way of the green "latest release" button on the git hub (which is where the "download now" link from raspberrypints.com points) have the most current files? Or do we also need to apply the hot fixes?

The latest kit can be found here. It's in the branches, not the releases.

And there never were "hot fixes" in the form of patches. They were complete kits with updated contents, with the last being the V1.0.3 version. One could have installed just that version without any of the predecessors.

Anyway, there's no need to install anything other the version linked above...

Cheers!

So I have mine up and running and here are some pictures and things I learned along the way...
my alamode does not like pin 11, it gives me crazy pour data (like 50-70oz at a time)
You must stop the flowmon script if you want to upload or make any changes via the arduino ide. sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon stop.. make sure you restart it after the upload. That burned hours troubleshooting a avr stk 500 error.
If you have a brewpi setup on the pi as well, unplug it(usb to the uno) when trying to upload to the alamode. It will show you having more serial ports, and will default to the uno board, making it really easy to flash over your brewpi...ask me how I know.
I am far from a whiz at this so it took me some trial and error. The instructions are not spot on in a few areas so you have to be ready for some Google fu.

Here is my setup, its not very pretty but it works and its modular and easily moved around, which proved priceless for all the troubleshooting I did.

Started with some dupont cables and cut them, soldering the end to a length of cat5(about 15ft).

Alamode End:
10378536_456470704495535_6199473284828988548_n.jpg

Alamode:
10478680_456470734495532_5716363712719801912_n.jpg

Sensor End:
10622754_456470671162205_4460842496516168454_n.jpg

Sensors:
10645057_456470631162209_7778841827871108590_n.jpg
Can you connect all the "Ground" and "VIN" together?

Word of warning. The flowmeters add one extra place that you could get a leak. I just cleaned an entire 5 gallon keg of Apfelwein off the bottom of my keezer. Apparently one of the nuts that hold the John Guest barb fittings to the meters themselves was loose and completely drained the keg. Make sue to leak check all connections.

I noted this earlier, now sorry but I am a metric bloke, and I understand the reasoning at this time for not getting metric up and running. My question is other than the above and the php volume symbol in the tap display, what else would I need to alter to have the system record metric?

This is for froot & ratsathome plus everyone else who wants a metric volume

Instead of changing the pulse count in pours.php, we just change the numbers in the index.php

So in index.php find the line
Code:
<h3><?php echo number_format((($beer['startAmount'] - $beer['remainAmount']) * 128)); ?> fl oz poured</h3>
and change it to
Code:
<h3><?php echo number_format((($beer['startAmount'] - $beer['remainAmount']) * 3.785411),3); ?> Liters poured</h3>
then find this line
Code:
<h2><?php echo number_format(($beer['remainAmount'] * 128)); ?> fl oz left</h2>
and change it to
Code:
<h2><?php echo number_format(($beer['remainAmount'] * 3.785411),3); ?> Liters left</h2>

If you want milliliters just move the decimal over three places to become 3785.411 and the word Liters to milliliters.

The number three ),3) after the 3.785411 is how many decimal places you want in your output number.

To see it in action go here.

I'm waiting for parts to arrive, but going through the posts I do have a question. I have seen that the RPi camera can be used for a motion detector with email notification so could it wake up the display and take a picture of the activating person recording the picture, date and time?
Mike

GIzPlAi.jpg

i made a nifty enclosure from a conduit box from lowes. Now it'll be easy to mount the meters in my keezer.

hardware is done, tomorrow i'll tackle the software.
just put a new keg in tonight, not gonna tap it until this is up and running so i can test accuracy.

cant wait!!

winovino, I like your in the box idea an may go down that path too, I have 8 taps so 2 boxes (meters are on order). However just looking at your completed box it looks something like a Chinese puzzle, so whats the secret of the assembly sequence?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

winovino, I like your in the box idea an may go down that path too, I have 8 taps so 2 boxes (meters are on order). However just looking at your completed box it looks something like a Chinese puzzle, so whats the secret of the assembly sequence?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

I marked then drilled the holes to be slightly larger than the od of my bev line.
put the meters in and held in place as i inserted the push fit barbs from the outside.
then heated my bev line and pushed it onto the barb.

In retrospect the box is nice as it contains the meters however if you ever have to remove one of the back meters you have to remove the one in front of it as well. This happened to me when one of my meters died......

Just a shout out to budgetvm.com for the awesome server setup. This thing is great! No more lag for the RaspberryPints site. Let us know if you have any issues. Our email may be down for a few days while we switch over so bare with us!

-Fixed issue with tapping a keg when not using flow meters
-Cleaned up code by adding new functions
-Moved the flow meter start up to a service
-Resolved issue with starting volume bug

Excellent! Thanks for the release!

If you can still edit the first post in this thread, perhaps adding an note re: v2.0.1 might be helpful...

Cheers!

Looking forward to loading the new release into my new system, hopefully up and running by next weekend. I do have a help request in that I bought new flow meters, but they came without the end nuts (and maybe seals) so where do I get those? I have the hose fittings arriving on Sat. so my last big piece is the monitor and the interface wiring to the flow meters.
Pointers would be appreciated. The rest is looking good. Thanks in advance.
Mike

Hey all,

I'm adding a stout tap to my keezer and needed another flow meter. The guy on ebay that we all bought them from originally had 2 left, so I ordered them. The only problem is they don't include the screw on ends that the john guest barbs fit in to. I ordered my original barbs from Fresh Water Systems and have a couple left. I need to find the connector that screws on to the black flow meter. Does that make sense? Does anyone know what adapter / connector I need? Any help would be much appreciated!

Hey all,

I'm adding a stout tap to my keezer and needed another flow meter. The guy on ebay that we all bought them from originally had 2 left, so I ordered them. The only problem is they don't include the screw on ends that the john guest barbs fit in to. I ordered my original barbs from Fresh Water Systems and have a couple left. I need to find the connector that screws on to the black flow meter. Does that make sense? Does anyone know what adapter / connector I need? Any help would be much appreciated!

Would this be it, by chance?
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=58490&gclid=COijzMrJssECFeQ7Mgod8FcAVw

small issue:
everything has been working flawlessly for about a month now until 2 days ago.

I finished a keg off, removed and cleaned the keg, then ran cleaner through my lines.

kegged an ipa that was ready to go and force carbed.

waited a day, then updated pints info kicking the keg, cleaning the keg, adding the beer, tapping the keg and assigning it to the same pin it was on.

after numerous pours, it doesnt want to recognize that particular tap, all others read fine.

Any ideas, anyone?

Hey all,

Looking forward to loading the new release into my new system, hopefully up and running by next weekend. I do have a help request in that I bought new flow meters, but they came without the end nuts (and maybe seals) so where do I get those? I have the hose fittings arriving on Sat. so my last big piece is the monitor and the interface wiring to the flow meters.
Pointers would be appreciated. The rest is looking good. Thanks in advance.
Mike

You both want the "John Guest Female Adapter BSPP - 3/8 x 3/8 BSPP", which you can get here. I bought a handful of those with the stem/barb connectors just in case and they're a dead match for the ones that shipped with the meters.

And I guess our friend nvdhassani wasn't blowing smoke when he said he was running out of meters...

Cheers!

[...]Any ideas, anyone?

Assuming you've already checked for loose connections, the next thing to try is to swap AlaMode pins with another meter and see if a pour registers on the swapped pin. If it does, the meter is ok. If it doesn't, I'd pull the meter and see if the keg kicked some debris into the meter that's keeping the rotor from spinning...

Cheers!

You both want the "John Guest Female Adapter BSPP - 3/8 x 3/8 BSPP", which you can get here. I bought a handful of those with the stem/barb connectors just in case and they're a dead match for the ones that shipped with the meters.

And I guess our friend nvdhassani wasn't blowing smoke when he said he was running out of meters...

Cheers!

Thanks! And I know. I bought the last two! I figured it would be good to have a spare.

Cheers!

day_trippr, Thanks a bunch, I hate ordering the wrong items... Got them ordered. The Post Office has my AlaMode board bouncing all over Houston and not sure when I will get it. I have the rest of my items and just waiting for the beer line/meter fittings. Hopefully up and running next weekend! Now just looking at how to do the boxes to hold the RPi/AlaMode and the interface between AlaMode & flow sensors with out being a rat nest.... Ah well off to the surplus/electronics store after work to look for solutions.:rockin:

Oh yeah on nvdhassani, I bought 8 new ones from him at $30 each on eBay. I think he will not have any more used ones, but it looks like he found a good source for new ones. He was a fast shipper too.

Problem. Got it running, got into administration mode, loaded my beers, loaded my kegs, but when I went to configure my taps only keg 1 comes up. Any ideas to fix it? I have done both a reboot, and shutdown with no joy. I have deleted all of the sample data and all of the data I entered is in those sections so am unsure what to fix or do.

Did you check to be sure the status of the kegs is set to 'Clean'?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No I had them set to serving. The strange item is it let me update a new beer to tap 1, pin 2, but all of the example data shows tap 1 pin 0 and I cannot delete or modify example items on tap. Also my kegs 2-10 (I have 15) do not show up in the pull down.
So if I read you correctly a keg has to be clean, not conditioning, etc. to assign it to a tap/beer? I will try changing all my beers/kegs I want on tap to something other than serving to see if they show up then. Seems strange to not have a beer assigned to a keg before posting to a tap. Ah well still learning....
Thanks for the time and input.

Did you check to be sure the status of the kegs is set to 'Clean'?

raysmithtx, Thanks that did the trick, changed kegs all (I wanted to put on tap) to Conditioning, and that brought up the pull down with the keg numbers so I could add them in to my on tap set up in the admin mode so all is good now. I had one empty tap (no keg attached yet) so I just assigned a keg of water named empty. Good enough for now. I will learn!!!

I now apparently either do not understand how to get there or I have messed up the normal user (ID: beers, PW: beers) because after I logged out of admin to the log in screen typing in the beers/beers is not accepted. Advice on how to fix or get there would be appreciated as I would like to see the normal display after all this fun...
Thanks in advance.

If I understand your question correctly... If you are in the browser I believe you can type in the IP address of your pi followed by /index.php.

For mine it's 192.168.1.86/index.php, yours will probably be different.

If I understand your question correctly... If you are in the browser I believe you can type in the IP address of your pi followed by /index.php.

For mine it's 192.168.1.86/index.php, yours will probably be different.

Mine is 192.168.1.81/index.php and it says not found, The requested URL/index.php was not found on this server.

For what it is worth I am running RaspberryPi release 9/9/2014 NOOB, and the RaspberryPints 2.0.1.

Below is what comes up at 192.168.1.81 on my RPi

Index of /
[ICO] Name Last modified Size Description
[DIR] admin/ 10-Sep-2014 19:05 -
[DIR] arduino/ 10-Sep-2014 19:05 -
[DIR] img/ 19-Oct-2014 15:43 -
[DIR] includes/ 19-Oct-2014 11:05 -
[DIR] install/ 10-Sep-2014 19:05 -
[DIR] python/ 10-Sep-2014 19:05 -
[DIR] sql/ 10-Sep-2014 19:05 -
Apache/2.2.22 (Debian) Server at 192.168.1.81 Port 80

Last edited:
You're going to have to find an index.php if you want to get much further ;)

$ sudo find / -name index.php

The file should be in /var/www

Cheers!

Back