Verdigris in CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I went back to using my IC and let my CFC sit. I did clean it and rinse it out with water before putting it away. I didn't blow the water out with compressed air but I tried to drain as much as possible. Is there a way to tell if there is any verdigris?

I have been preboiling my strike water and then chilling it to mash temp. When I was chilling this last batch with my CFC, the water coming out of the CFC tube had an odd look to it. I also notice what looked like a layer on top of the water. The best way to describe it is what gas looks like going into water. I'm thinking that is caused by the cold water going back into the almost boiling water.

Just hate not being able to see what is going on in the CFC especially with it being copper.

I wrote an article on verdigris and brewing a while back, based partly on information John Palmer provided in 2007.

"Copper is relatively inert to both wort and beer. With regular use, it will build up a stable oxide layer (dull copper color) that will protect it from any further interaction with the wort. Only minimal cleaning to remove surface grime, hop bits and wort protein is necessary. There is no need to clean copper shiny-bright after every use or before contact with your wort. It is better if the copper is allowed to form a dull copper finish with use. " ~ John Palmer November 2007

You can read the full article here.... Brewing With Copper - Verdigris Myths

I wrote an article on verdigris and brewing a while back, based partly on information John Palmer provided in 2007.

"Copper is relatively inert to both wort and beer. With regular use, it will build up a stable oxide layer (dull copper color) that will protect it from any further interaction with the wort. Only minimal cleaning to remove surface grime, hop bits and wort protein is necessary. There is no need to clean copper shiny-bright after every use or before contact with your wort. It is better if the copper is allowed to form a dull copper finish with use. " ~ John Palmer November 2007

You can read the full article here.... Brewing With Copper - Verdigris Myths

I was actually just reading it. I haven't used my CFC in a little while but I was using probably once a month. I clean it with PBW and then rinse with water. Probably uncommon for verdigris to form but I hate not seeing as I'm sure it does happen.

Back