Venturi method -- where do you put the hole?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
I want to try the "venturi effect" for aerating my wort. Can I do this with an auto-siphon? I have two of them and wouldn't mind dedicating one to aeration. If I can use this, where would I put the hole(s)? On the racking cane or on the tubing? Does this system actually work?

I have used a venturi for my last two batches. I pump into the fermentor, so I just placed a plastic "T" in-line, with about 12" tubing beyond the "T". It is about a 1/2" diameter hole. It seems to work well for me. I'm sure I can get better aeration with a stone and 02, and I may go to that. I would think you can drill the hole anywhere in the line, just make sure you have enough outlet line.

I use a 4 inch section of racking cane attached to the end of my siphon tube where it goes into the fermenter. I melted about 3 dozen holes in the cane with a hot paper clip. Works like a charm.

I also use the plastic barbed "T", put your thumb over the hole to start the siphon and once it's going fairly well pull your thumb off!

I built a second after a discovering a design flaw in my first. I use a short length of polypropylene tubing that I drilled the holes in a spiral (ring would work too). The first one I made had them in line and air got sucked into the first hole, but then because of all the air, the lower holes didn't set up a venturi. Now they are spaced out so one hole doesn't affect the other.

I use a 4 inch section of racking cane attached to the end of my siphon tube where it goes into the fermenter. I melted about 3 dozen holes in the cane with a hot paper clip. Works like a charm.

So can I just put some holes into the very end of the vinyl racking tube that extends from the auto-siphon?

Also, does anyone have a photo of what theirs looks like?

If you are talking about the curved tube, the tube that fits inside the other, larger tube of the autosypon, you could. Are you running vinyl tubing from that end currently? I would think that placing the venturi apparatus closer in line to the fermentor would maximize O2 into the wort. If it is too far "up the line", the flow a longer time to smooth out (less turbulence=less O2).

If you are talking about the curved tube, the tube that fits inside the other, larger tube of the autosypon, you could. Are you running vinyl tubing from that end currently? I would think that placing the venturi apparatus closer in line to the fermentor would maximize O2 into the wort. If it is too far "up the line", the flow a longer time to smooth out (less turbulence=less O2).

I was talking about the vinyl tube that attaches to the smaller of the two auto-siphon tubes. Just plain old bottling tubing.

Yeah, you can melt holes in it like the other other posters said. Make ur holes about 6-10 inches up from the end, should work fine. I think the general consensus is that fewer, larger holes are better than more, smaller holes.

Latest posts

Back