Vent hood CFM question: 760 versus 900

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boredstate

Reaction score
Looking at installing a vent hood and just wondering if I’ll notice a difference between 760 and a 900 CFM.

I run a 30 gallon electric Spike kettle doing 10-1/2bbl batches. The 760 CFM hood is a 36” wide, and the 900 CFM hood is 30” wide. It’s the $200-$300 hoods on Amazon. Links below.

Or if y’all have any better suggestions… I don’t really have the budget for a condensate hood...

Cosmo 63190 36-in Wall-Mount Range Hood 760-CFM | Ducted / Ductless Convertible Duct , Kitchen Chimney-Style Over Stove Vent LED Light , 3 Speed Exhaust Fan , Permanent Filter ( Stainless Steel ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LI92FPU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_p6rADb7BY17KW

CAVALIERE 30" Range Hood Wall Mounted Brushed Stainless Steel Kitchen Vent 900CFM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6LPQGU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5OrADbVXXHCY3

Assuming you have done your homework on this... A good vent system is more than just the hood, you need a relatively direct route to an exterior wall, or through your ceiling and roof. The longer the duct route is, the larger diameter it needs to be to utilize the cfm capacity of a high volume vent system.

I'll agree if I were to do it over I would go with a condenser. No vent needed. If you really want a vent I would say go as big as you can on the fan. I am running a 1200cfm fan with no duct, straight out the wall and it works perfect for my 30gal kettles. I had it installed in my previous house with about 6 feet of ducting and it in the colder months I had condensation drip back down my hood.
If you watch Craigslist a hood might pop up. I picked up 2 rangemaster 20"x36" stainless hoods for $40 a few years ago and my fan was about $50 on ebay..
20190907_051309.jpeg

ZAx0jTa
Hey just chiming in here to give you my experience. I got a 900CFM exhaust hood and I was still fighting serious condensation during boils. I was so tired of it I bought a steam condenser (Steam Slayer) and mounted on my lid.
ZAx0jTa

Wish I had known about steam condensers from the start, a few gallons of water is a small price to pay for the benefit of a ventless boil.

Thanks for the input guys. Despite the admittedly solid advise of the condenser, I ultimately purchased a 900 cfm hood. It’s installed directly out of the wall with less than 3ft of duct. Won’t get to really test it out until this weekend or next, but I’ll report back. It’s pretty powerful. Hopefully I won’t be regretting my decision, but I can always use it for my outdoor kitchen build or sell it.
636B8840-0D34-4987-9FC1-A6C067AA7086.jpg

Hi Boredstate,
Are you able to provide an update on how you like the hood vs going with a condenser? I'm debating this at the moment.
Thanks in advance!

Well haven’t put it to the full test yet. It’s been THAT long since a brew day. Like everything else, I blame it on the wife and kids :) But I’ll try a water test soon and report back!

Back