Vastly different IBU calcs from different calculators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zapbryann

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was trying to calculate my IBUs from the following recipe using 2 different online calcs.

3 gal partial boil
5 gal total
1oz of Nugget 12.4%AA @ 60 min
.5 oz of Centennial 9.9% AA @ 30min
.5 oz of Centennial 9.9 AA @ 18min
1oz of Williamette Dry Hops 4% AA (which I assume I add as a 0 min boil time.)
All hops were pellets
OG was 1.060

Using this calc ( http://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/ ) I get total IBUs at 46.07

Using another calc ( http://www.rooftopbrew.net/ibu.php , using Ragers equation, 5 gal batch size) I get IBUs at 80.6

Which should I believe?

My Promash calculator came up with 81.7 for pellet hops and 74.3 for whole hops. So I would go with the rooftopbrew of 80.6. Since dry hopping doesn't add any bitterness the Williamette hops will have no effect on the IBUs.

Depends on which formula you use. The difference between them is normal. Use one, and stick with it.

ArcaneXor said:
Depends on which formula you use. The difference between them is normal. Use one, and stick with it.

I agree...pick one formula and taste the beer. Before long, you will know what 40 IBUs in a 1.050 beer taste like.

I have a similar setup to you, OP (20 qt pot partial boil). I use Tinseth, mostly because Yooper does and I like Yooper.

Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if our understanding of IBUs and extraction changed significantly in the next few years. I remember hearing a brewer talking about a beer in which ALL of the hops were added at flameout (a process that would barely tip the scales on most formulas). He sent the finished beer to a lab for testing, and it had a very high figure for measurable IBUs. I don't recall exact numbers, but it was something like 20 expected and 70 measured.

Thus, I think we should use hops the way we use cooking herbs: instinct and experience.

Back