Variety of mixed malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie02173

Reaction score
Im after brewing 3 lagers with all different recipes and i was left with vienna, europils, munich and carrafell.
Im thinking of being creative and making a batch of beer with my leftover malts! Any experiences or even recipes with a variety of malts

Im after brewing 3 lagers with all different recipes and i was left with vienna, europils, munich and carrafell.
Im thinking of being creative and making a batch of beer with my leftover malts! Any experiences or even recipes with a variety of malts
Im also left with citra, hallertaan hulsbrecker, hallertaan blanc, saag and northern brew hops wondering about mixing and matching these also

Also, do check the spelling on those puppies. Most of us can figure things out, but carrafell [sic] could be carafa or carapils or carahell.

Others:
Hallertau Hersbrucker/Blanc
Saaz
Northern Brewer

Last edited:
I would not be suprised if my spelling was wrong i should really check these things for more accurate answers. I have less then 1 kg of each but its more so as a guideline maybe some dont mix.. and i must apoligise its german carahell! Im thinking of making my malt volume for example 3.5kg and mix it with 4 or 5 types, vienna, german pilsner, europils, carahell, crushed crystal malt.. or another idea i should find other recipes to use leftovers.

Also, do check the spelling on those puppies. Most of us can figure things out, but carrafell [sic] could be carafa or carapils or carahell.

Others:
Hallertau Hersbrucker/Blanc
Saaz
Northern Brewer
Hallertau Hersbrucker you can forgive me for that one lol

You basically have a bunch of German malts, traditionally suitable for lagers. But you need a much higher proportion of base malt than the other stuff. Vienna, pilsner, and Munich can be combined in any way. Try to come up with a total grain weight where 90% of the weight is comprised of those three, and 10% is the carahell. Or 5% if you don't have enough. Add some lager yeast and make something golden and malty.

Here ya go. I just chose 34/70 as being appropriate. I don’t know what the OP has available. This is for a 2.5 gal batch.
argh- forgot the Carahell.
B1D3940D-9260-4AD8-AAA3-BA2998631344.png

Back