Vanilla Porter partial mash recipe.. thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPEtech

Reaction score
Here's what we've come up with..

7lbs Amber extract
1lb Dark Munich
1lb 60L
1lb Chocolate
1/4lb Special B
1/2lb Munich

2.5 gallons and steep for 30 mins. Sparge up to 3.5 gallons.

7lbs Amber extract @ 60 minutes
1oz Centennial @ 60 mins
1/2oz Mt. Hood @ 20 mins
1/2oz Mt. Hood @ 5 mins

Top off at 5 gallons
Safale s-04 (11.5 grams dry)

I can keep the temp at around 70 degrees.. no colder. I was told this yeast will tolerate higher temps without getting funky.

I plan on using 2 vanilla beans, sliced and diced. I was going to add them to my primary after 10-12 days, and let it sit for a few days before bottling. Can I roast them at 160 degrees for 20 minutes or so to kill any beasties? Will that change the flavor/smell of the vanilla? I've also considered soaking in whiskey for a few days. Thoughts?

Travis

I've added one vanilla bean (about 7") sliced to a 5 gallon corny keg. Then left it in the keg for the whole life of the beer. I can't totally remember but I believe the vanilla flavor kept getting stronger towards the end of the keg, so the longer you can let it be in the secondary the better flavor/aroma you will get since you are bottling. I would have to say though my chocolate vanilla bean porter has been one of my favorite beers so far!

That's kinda what I'm looking for.. I really like Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. I'm shooting for something like that, with maybe just a tad more chocolate (hence the 1lb of chocolate).

Here was my recipe if it can help any.

Chocolate Vanilla Bean NW Porter

8.5 lb 2-row
0.8 lb crystal 60l
0.5 lb crystal 120l
0.5 lb briess chocolate
0.25 lb baird's chocolate
0.33 lb carapils

1 oz nugget @ 60min
1/2 oz cascade @ 10min
1/2 oz cascade @ 0min

NW pale ale starter yeast

1 vanilla bean thrown into corny keg at racking.

25lbs co2 @ 3 days
3lbs co2 @ serving!

Back