Vanilla Porter failed to carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetAF

Reaction score
I made a vanilla porter, using a recipe I've used in the past, with good results. This is the first time I've added vanilla beans. Have always used real vanilla extract in the past. Did a primary fermentation for about 8-9 days, then racked to secondary to let it settle out - which is what I've always done. Added the vanilla beans, let that sit for about a week, then bottled. Have tried three bottles - no carbonation, after letting the whole batch sit in bottles for a month now, at room temperature. I'm thinking the yeast all flocculated out. I added Cooper's Carb drops to each bottle at bottling. What do I do now? I'm considering opening each bottle, dumping into a Corny Keg, and force carbonating, then serving via my kegerator. I had wanted to have this in bottles, as it can last a bit longer. The recipe I use is really tasty, especially with the vanilla added. I just don't relish the thought of trying to drink 5 gallons of flat beer.

I had the same issue with a RIS where several months went by and no carb. I can feel it on the toungue slightly so I used a syringe and drew in some of thebeerfrom a glass and injected back into the glass a couple times and voila' creamy head and even better mouthfeel I found out on this forum that guiness used to include a syringe in a sixer or something to recreate the cascading effect.

Give it somemore time. I had a porter that wasn't carbed ina month and I got all worried, but I ended up letting it set a few.more weeks and it came around.

Back