vacuum sealer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
I got a Foodsaver last Christmas ('15) and it crapped the bed today while splitting out some bulk hops. Not happy the thing lasted a year with limited use!

Curious, what vacuum sealer are you guys using and are you happy?

My food saver has been around for 8 or 9 years! She gets ridden hard and put away wet with no issues at all. Ive even used mine to degass 5 gallon carboys of wine! Sorry to hear yours **** the bed so soon....

6 yr old food saver, moderate use (heavy at times). auto seal no longer works but i press the seal button and it seals. I can certainly live with that

Sorry your's crapped out

Well, guess there is something to a screen name...

I thought it may have over heated so I left it unplugged for several hours. Nothing. No sign of life!

After I made this post I went to check the model (FM2000) and thought I would plug it in one final time before tossing. Still nothing.

I gave it the good old fashion shake and... boom! We have a working Foodsaver.

There must have been hop dust or something interfering with the latch or something is loose inside.

Oh well, happy ending (for now).

I have had mine for 10 years + and it is still ticking. I do clean mine out when I am done. I have used mine to seal numerous items that will not be used right away. And like SmokeyMcBong I have used it to degass wine. I did have one prior to that and it finally gave up the ghost. I took it apart to find out what had happen and the rubber parts had rotted apart. That one was 20 years old. Both were FoodSavers.

I must have a short or something. Tried to seal another 1oz bag and it stopped working and power light never came back.

:(

I must have a short or something. Tried to seal another 1oz bag and it stopped working and power light never came back.
:(
Go ahead an open it up! It might be an easy fix. Mine is well over 10 years old and has been repaired at least three times for simple stuff like broken motor mounts, loose wire, etc. If you can't fix it, you're only out the few minutes you spent in "surgery." Ed
:mug:

I have been using the method shown in this video [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMDfyRjfBbc&feature=youtu.be[/ame] and it has worked great for me. I use mason jar lids and rings and my only modification is that after I have a good seal, I place a second lid over the first and then screw a ring over them. I have yet to have a seal fail using this method.

Got it in 2015? Call FoodSaver to see if your unit is still under warranty. The model that we have came with a long warranty.

Latest posts

Back