Vacuum Sealer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetskeez

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting one for sealing my bulk hops order, but want to find one that will allow sealing of smaller cut bags instead of the default length of 8" or 11" for the seal. Do most vacuum sealers do this? Ideally I want to cut and seal 5" x 5" bags of 1oz or 2oz of hops. Anyone using a Foodsaver that allows for this?

I do this with my foodsaver all the time. First I cut and make the bag the size that I need, sealing only 3 sides. Next, and this seems to be important, I trim off the excess plastic from the two side seams of the bag. If you don't trim off the excess, the foodsaver doesn't vac out the bags properly. Then, fill the bag and vac out as normal.

It took me a little while to figure out that if I trimmed off all the excess plastic from the custom bags, the machine would vac them. But now, the majority of the bags I use are these more custom bags.

My food saver will seal any size bag (max being as wide as the sealer is physically). The harder part is finding smaller bags to use. Making your own bags becomes a real paint in the rear.

I tend to just seal in a large bag, take out what i need for the brew day and then reseal the large bag again. As long as you leave your bags big you can continue to cut them off and reseal.

Most sealers have the ability to just seal without using the vacuum. I take a large roll cut it to my desired bag size then use the seal only feature to seal sections of the larger bag to fit the amount of hops I want, fill each small compartment and then seal them all at once and cut the individual bags apart as I need them. Next time I package up my bulk buy, I'll create a video to post.

Thank you for all the input, guys! I will definitely look into these bags. I can imagine all that cutting is not fun.

easy to make small bags from a roll. Decide how wide you want the bag and cut a strip from the roll that is a little longer then you want with width of the final bag. You now have a piece of bag material that is as only sealed on the tow factory sealed edges and open clear through. Seal one open side as close to the edge as possible. Now seal the last open end. No vacuum in any of this. Now you have a bag sealed on all 4 sides. Now cut it in two. You will now have two bags which have factory seals on the bottoms and heat seals on both sides.

I do this by cutting about 4.5 inch strips which when I am done gives me a bag that is about 5 inches long and 3.5 inches wide. I can put 2 oz of pellets in it and have enough extra room to seal it once or possibly twice more after I use part of those pellets.

I see lots of generic vacuum seal rolls for sale for much cheaper than the name brand. Anybody had any good or bad experiences with any vendors?

I do this with my foodsaver all the time. First I cut and make the bag the size that I need, sealing only 3 sides. Next, and this seems to be important, I trim off the excess plastic from the two side seams of the bag. If you don't trim off the excess, the foodsaver doesn't vac out the bags properly. Then, fill the bag and vac out as normal.

It took me a little while to figure out that if I trimmed off all the excess plastic from the custom bags, the machine would vac them. But now, the majority of the bags I use are these more custom bags.

Wow! How did I not figure this out!

I was convinced there was something about the groove pattern that let them only seal the one direction!
(It does make sense why they would not tell you how to save material)

I was also trying to use a scrap of patterned material as a channel in plain plastic bags with mixed results.
(Sometimes it hard to tell if I'm being cheap or inventive)

Tom

I see lots of generic vacuum seal rolls for sale for much cheaper than the name brand. Anybody had any good or bad experiences with any vendors?

ChefRex has had a good experience with these ones he linked to:

I intend to buy some myself. You know, once I take the vacuum sealer out of the shipping box.

I bought a Ziplock brand sealer at Menards this fall to package my homegrown hops. Compared to most of the other brands I looked at it is cheap and it worked great. Not sure how long it will last but so far so good.

I haven't needed any smaller bags yet, it takes a pretty good sized bag to hold two ounces of hop cones. But thanks for the ideas on how to make smaller bags from a large roll!

I was convinced there was something about the groove pattern that let them only seal the one direction!
(It does make sense why they would not tell you how to save material)
Tom

The groove does have something to do with it, I took some industrial bags from works industrial sealer (no groove pattern) and they will seal but not vac.

As for the comment above about foodsavers not being of quality, not sure about the newer ones but mine has been like a tank. I got it when they first went to the stand up type units from the laying down type. I'm a chef and Butcher so I buy large cuts of meat, process, portion and seal for storage. I've had mine so hot, that it would not turn on. This has happened on three different occasions, all I did was let it cool down and away we go again. I would recommend a foodsaver to anyone.

The groove does have something to do with it, I took some industrial bags from works industrial sealer (no groove pattern) and they will seal but not vac.

As for the comment above about foodsavers not being of quality, not sure about the newer ones but mine has been like a tank. I got it when they first went to the stand up type units from the laying down type. I'm a chef and Butcher so I buy large cuts of meat, process, portion and seal for storage. I've had mine so hot, that it would not turn on. This has happened on three different occasions, all I did was let it cool down and away we go again. I would recommend a foodsaver to anyone.

Mine overheats and won't seal if I use it about 10 times in a row. The red LED blinks indicating there is a problem. Takes a couple of minutes to cool down.

I bought the cheapest one they make and it's been going strong for about 4 years.

The groove does have something to do with it, I took some industrial bags from works industrial sealer (no groove pattern) and they will seal but not vac.[...]

Save the FS roll ends. You can cut 2" wide strips from them to lay inside those non-vac bags at the sealing line, insert the bag and the pump will be able to pull a vacuum then seal the works together...

Cheers!

Back