Vacuum Pump Pressure Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
I just purchased a Robinair Vacuum pump Model 15101B (5 CFM).

I need to know how to regulate the vacuum pressure so I don't suck up my wine into the pump (which I just did) or implode the carboy. What set-up do you use to accomplish this and what is the maximum pressure that should not be exceeded to implode a carboy (especially one that may be weak form age or other).

I see now pressure can be controlled (putting my finger over it) via the small horizontal intake. Just need to understand the best pressure control value to attach and set to maintain a constant and safe pressure.

All suggestions appreciated - Cheers!

Pump 002.jpg

20150504_084205.jpg

Not familiar with that vacuum pump but what you want to do is attach another carboy or jug between the pump and the source or target carboy (are you using the pump to degas or to transfer wine?) In any event you want the pump to pull the air out of the empty carboy or jug and that jug to pull the CO2 from the source carboy (carboy with the wine) or the air from the target carboy (the one to be filled) and so pull the wine from the source carboy. That empty carboy is for safety. It will begin to fill before any wine comes into contact with the pump itself.
Have no idea how you control the pump you have but what you want is about 22 inches of vacuum - that is enough to pull out any CO2 and enough to transfer wine from one 5 or 6 gallon carboy to another.

Two things required for the cheap simple fix.

A vacuum gauge, and an adjustable orifice to allow you to bleed in a little atmospheric pressure to adjust the amount of vacuum you pull.

Turn the pump on with the orifice adjusted to fully open, adjust the bleed in through it until you have the vacuum you need or want.

TeeJo

Back