VA group bulk grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pxpx14's numbers came from the homebrewers catalog on the Country Malt website. They list the sack price there, but preface the product code with an 'H'. http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/pdf/2008_HomeBrewCatalog.pdf
I figured that's where you were ordering from because of the pallet price. Sorry for the confusion, looks like your info is more up to date.
Greg

no worries...that catalog isn't for the pallet-sized purchases though.

For anyone in Hampton Roads or near 64 between Charlottesvile and Hampton Roads:

I will almost certainly be driving from Charlottesville to Chesapeake the first or second weekend in March. Depending on when the order gets delivered, I could bring it down then in my truck (assuming no better arrangements are setup).

That would be HUGE!!! What would you charge us for the delivery to this area (I want it to be worth your while)? I am trying to get a buddy involved in this buy and want to have the info for him.

That would be HUGE!!! What would you charge us for the delivery to this area (I want it to be worth your while)? I am trying to get a buddy involved in this buy and want to have the info for him.

No extra charge as I will already be there anyway, though a few bottles of homebrew or somthing would be nice...

Also just realized I made a mistake in my post - I will be driving to Chesapeake the first or second weekend of April, NOT March. I'll update the original to reflect that.

I'm interested, but it's a long drive from Winchester to Charlottesville. $33.39 a bag for German Pilsener malt is hard to pass up. I'm trying to get in contact with an all-grainer in Front Royal and maybe another guy in Stephens City.

I'm interested, but it's a long drive from Winchester to Charlottesville. $33.39 a bag for German Pilsener malt is hard to pass up. I'm trying to get in contact with an all-grainer in Front Royal and maybe another guy in Stephens City.

I'll be bringing a load to Warrenton if that works better for you. Let me know.

Yep, it's a great deal. Let me know if you decide anything...right now it looks like the closest you could pick up is in Warrenton (pxpx14 is running a load there^^^).

I live in Front Royal and would love to get in on this! Since this has been the week to fix my car(stupid, rusted POS!) I need to double check the money supply before I commit. If its not too late when are you hoping to make the last call? I might be able to get one or two guys in on this as well from the Front Royal area.

I'd be willing to drive to Charlottsville, since I've been meaning to take my wife down there anyway... its a cool town and we can make a pit stop at Star Hill!

I live in Front Royal and would love to get in on this! Since this has been the week to fix my car(stupid, rusted POS!) I need to double check the money supply before I commit. If its not too late when are you hoping to make the last call? I might be able to get one or two guys in on this as well from the Front Royal area.

I'd be willing to drive to Charlottsville, since I've been meaning to take my wife down there anyway... its a cool town and we can make a pit stop at Star Hill!

Nope...it's not too late. I'm not going to do last call until we get a full pallet -- we're at 38/42 right now. And if people want more once we get to 42, I'll give up a few myself (I put myself down for 10-15 bags).

Yep, charlottesville is definitely a cool town. Also, just in case you didn't know, the starr hill brewery has moved to crozet, about 15-20 mins west of town.

Okay, I'm in for three bags.

mb2696, please send me your address via private message so I can FedEx you a check. This is a great service you are providing, and I am grateful to you.

pxpx14, I will take you up on your offer to pick up in Warrenton. Thank you, too.

FYI, I am looking for one bag each of BZ-PILS ($33.39), BZ-DMUN (34.49) and TF-MOPA (43.29).

Dave the VABeerSnob

Okay, I'm in for three bags.

mb2696, please send me your address via private message so I can FedEx you a check. This is a great service you are providing, and I am grateful to you.

pxpx14, I will take you up on your offer to pick up in Warrenton. Thank you, too.

FYI, I am looking for one bag each of BZ-PILS ($33.39), BZ-DMUN (34.49) and TF-MOPA (43.29).

Dave the VABeerSnob

Sounds good Dave, I'll put you down for those 3 bags. As far as payment, I'm going to wait until after last call and I get a final confirmation from everyone before I begin collecting payments. At that time, I'll send you my info, and a check will be fine. Thanks!

For now you can at least put me down for 1 bag of 2-row and 1 bag of Maris Otter.

I am new to all grain brewing and buying ingrediants in bulk, any suggestions on what would be a good third bag to get if I generally prefer Stout, Porter, Brown Ale, IPA, Scotch Ale, and Trappist Style Ales? At this point I haven't researched enough to know if there is a common specialty grain that is used fairly often in all those styles and which one might be helpful to have in bulk. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Also, for anyone that is closer to Front Royal than Warrenton I'd be willing to go down to Charlottesville to pick up the grain, because like I said before, it would give me and my wife an reason to go and we have been meaning to. Just let me know.

For now you can at least put me down for 1 bag of 2-row and 1 bag of Maris Otter.

I am new to all grain brewing and buying ingrediants in bulk, any suggestions on what would be a good third bag to get if I generally prefer Stout, Porter, Brown Ale, IPA, Scotch Ale, and Trappist Style Ales? At this point I haven't researched enough to know if there is a common specialty grain that is used fairly often in all those styles and which one might be helpful to have in bulk. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Also, for anyone that is closer to Front Royal than Warrenton I'd be willing to go down to Charlottesville to pick up the grain, because like I said before, it would give me and my wife an reason to go and we have been meaning to. Just let me know.

If you want a third bag, I would say go for another bag of base malt. Unless you are going to brew alot of one style, it would be hard to use up 55# of one type of specialty grain in a reasonable amount of time. One average for a 5 gal batch, those styles will all need around 0.5 to 1 lb each of several different speciality grains. You can browse the recipe database on this forum to get a feel for what different styles commonly use.

For now, I'll put you down for the 2-row and MO. Let me know if you are interested in anything else.

Please put me tentatively down for 3 bags as I do not want to lose my place on the pallet. I will give you specifics in a few.

Front Royal is even closer than Warrenton, so Corey, I will take you up on that offer. In fact, I'm in FroRo right now, visiting my grandson, daughter, and son-in-law.

Dave the VA Beer Snob

No more from our group, its only the count gwren and I gave you so far for us. Just let us know when you are ready to place the order.

so what is the time table? when are you thinking of ordering? I quiver with anticipation like a virgin on prom night.

Well, now that we have enough to order, I'm going to take last call (I don't need 10 bags myself if people still want to jump in) and start confirming orders. Once that's done (hopefully only a couple days), I can collect the money and then place the order.

On the other hand, it looks like my plans for receiving the order may not work out. If not, does anyone have access to a fork lift or loading dock w/ pallet jack at a business location?

***********************************************************************************************
****DELIVERY: Does anyone have access to a fork lift or loading dock w/ pallet jack at a business location?****
***********************************************************************************************

****LAST CALL: if you want in, you must post or PM me by 10PM Tues, 02/16****

I would love to get in on this for one bag of 2-row. I can also use the fork-lift at work for a delivery if it doesnt sit there for long. only problem is its in staunton.:mug:

I would love to get in on this for one bag of 2-row. I can also use the fork-lift at work for a delivery if it doesnt sit there for long. only problem is its in staunton.:mug:

you're in...

thanks for offering to receive it. i may be able to use my location - i'm still not sure yet. if i can't, i wouldn't mind at all coming to staunton. and it wouldn't have to sit there at all - you could set the pallet it directly in my pickup. i'll let you know soon.

****LAST CALL: if you want in, you must post or PM me by 10PM Tues, 02/16****

Sorry folks, had to end last call early. We are full and I don't want to give up any more bags myself (I'm down to 5 from ~10). If any space becomes available, I will make another post.

Thank you so much, Ive been looking for cheap grain for a while now. Ive even gone as far as trying to malt some feed barley. (not as easy as it sounds)

I'll give them a call today to see how it works with hops - I think you have to buy something like 10lb increments of each to get the spot price...

Just got off the phone with them...

Hops are sold 11 lb (pellet) or 13 lb (whole leaf) bags. The 2009 spot prices are a good estimate of per lb price, but I'd have to call to check on availability and exact price per variety. If anyone is interested, please let me know ASAP - otherwise I would like to start collecting payments to get this rolling.

Just got off the phone with them...

Hops are sold 11 lb (pellet) or 13 lb (whole leaf) bags. The 2009 spot prices are a good estimate of per lb price, but I'd have to call to check on availability and exact price per variety. If anyone is interested, please let me know ASAP - otherwise I would like to start collecting payments to get this rolling.

I'm going to assume no one wants hops. One, because you have to buy at least 11 lb of a single variety, but mainly because we'd have to give up a bag of malt to add hops, which I don't think anyone would want to do. Maybe next time...

Everyone should receive payment info shortly.

I'm sure there will be another group buy. I don't know that mb2696 will want to sponsor it again, depending on how many headaches this one creates for him when it is all said and done. But we all like getting our grain at a fraction of the retail price!

For anyone who would like to pick up their order in Warrenton, please PM me with your email, phone number and real name so that we can schedule the pick up.

The order has been placed!

It should ship on monday and be delivered on thursday.

Delivery: The initial delivery will be in Staunton. cgondoli1 has graciously offered up a business address and forklift to receive the order. I will bring the pallet back to Charlottesville for distribution. As far as coordinating, I'm open to anything really. I will have the pallet at my house. If it's convenient, you can swing by pretty much anytime/any day to pick it up. Or, I could arrange to meet you on the weekend somewhere if it isn't too far. Just let me know.

I will be out of town all next week, unfortunately. I can pick it up the weekend of the 13th. If anyone was planning on having me bring back a load to Warrenton and you need it sooner, you might have to find another way of getting it. Sorry.

Back