Utilizing some hops on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetski

Reaction score
Okay, I don't usually do this but I'm trying to come up with a recipe to use some hops I have on hand. I usually just throw some stuff together and see how it turns out. I thought I would post what I have as far as hops and my base grain to see if anyone has a good recipe for an IPA, Pale Ale or wheat, although I'm going to be using 1056 as my yeast. I'm open to about anything really.

Here's what I have.....

1 oz New Zealand Motaka
1 oz Millennium
1 oz centennial
1 oz UK First Gold
maybe 1/2 oz chinook

I'm using 2 row as my base malt and I have quite a few specialty malts to use.

Any takers/ideas???

Here is what I would do:

9 lbs 2-row
8.0 oz Caramel 60L
8.0 oz Cara-pils

Mash @ 150°F for 60 minutes

0.25 oz Millenium 60 min
0.25 oz Chinook 15 min
1.00 oz Centennial 30 min Hop Stand @ 170°F
1.00 oz Motueka 30 min Hop Stand @ 170°F
***Optional***Dry hop with 2-4 oz Motueka for 5-7 days since Motueka is an awesome hop.

This should make a really good Extra Pale Ale. You will want to buy some more Motueka for the dry hop. I love the aroma from a 4 oz dry hop.

Sort of depends on what IBUs you want. I am unsure what the AA is on your milleniums so you'll wanna tailor the recipe a little depending on if you want huge IBUs or just middle for an IPA. Since it looks like the gist of the other hops express citrus-y characteristics you have the makings for a northwest American Pale Ale.

11#2-Row
4oz Crystal 40 (this is sort of optional, a lot of people entirely forgo crystal/caramel in their IPAs)
4oz Carapils

1oz Millenium 60 mins (calculator assumes 15.5 AA) 57IBU
1/2oz Chinook 7 mins (assuming 13 AA) 6IBU
1oz First Gold (assuming 7.5 AA) 3IBU

The Centennial and the Motueka (Motaka, I've seen it spelled a million ways) you could go a couple different ways.

1oz Centennial whirlpool for 15-20 minutes, cool wort to around 180F after the boil, toss in the hops and stir the bajingers out of it with a sanitized spoon and let it sit for 15-20minutes. You could also use the 1oz of Motueka at this point instead as well.

1oz Motueka or Centenial dry-hop for 5-7 days

Here is what I would do:

9 lbs 2-row
8.0 oz Caramel 60L
8.0 oz Cara-pils

0.25 oz Millenium 60 min
0.25 oz Chinook 15 min
***Optional***Dry hop with 2-4 oz Motueka for 5-7 days since Motueka is an awesome hop.

This should make a really good Extra Pale Ale. You will want to buy some more Motueka for the dry hop. I love the aroma from a 4 oz dry hop.

Thank you. I'll give this a try and see how it turns out.

Here is what I would do:

9 lbs 2-row
8.0 oz Caramel 60L
8.0 oz Cara-pils

0.25 oz Millenium 60 min
0.25 oz Chinook 15 min

Quick question. I've never heard of or done a "hop stand". If I was to guess this is added after flame out when the wort cools to 170°. Is that correct or am I way off?

Quick question. I've never heard of or done a "hop stand". If I was to guess this is added after flame out when the wort cools to 170°. Is that correct or am I way off?

Yep that is exactly right! It adds a lot of hop aroma without a lot of hop bitterness.

Latest posts

Back