Using washed yeast in a 1 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capnken

Reaction score
I plan on washing the yeast from a 5 gal batch to use in a 1 gal kit I’ve had. Both are IPA’s. How much of the cake do you think I will need? I don’t plan on storing any. Just for this 1 gal kit.

So I was going to do a Cream Ale next, would the yeast from an IPA lend any hop flavors to the Cream Ale ?
It depends on how much hop debris is in the cake, but yeah you could pick some of those hops flavors up if there's a lot.

Instead of "washing" the yeast, I have successfully strained trubby/hop-laden yeast slurry through a (very) fine mesh hop bag (or a piece of voile).

Pour off most of the beer so you'd end up with a just pourable slurry, alike buttermilk. You don't want to transfer too much of the hoppy beer either.
Boil the bag in some PBW, rinse, dunke in Starsan for 5 minutes, then place in a sanitized funnel with a (mason) jar underneath. To speed up draining stick a dinner spoon, upside down, between the bag and funnel, all the way down to the spout.

Back