Using Vanilla Extract in Milkshake IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead73

Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewing, Hophead
Reaction score
Brewing a vanilla milkshake IPA.

In the past when I've used vanilla beans I split, scraped, chopped and soaked in vodka and then added to the primary with descent results.

With the price of vanilla beans going up and looking for more of a stronger vanilla flavor I was looking at trying vanilla extract instead.
I've seen people recommend Penzeys Spices Pure Vanilla Extract and I happen to have a Penzeys store down the street from me.

My question is does anyone know the vanilla bean to extract ratio?
I've seen 1 teaspoon of extract = 1 vanilla bean.

Anyone have experience?

Brewing a vanilla milkshake IPA.

In the past when I've used vanilla beans I split, scraped, chopped and soaked in vodka and then added to the primary with descent results.

With the price of vanilla beans going up and looking for more of a stronger vanilla flavor I was looking at trying vanilla extract instead.
I've seen people recommend Penzeys Spices Pure Vanilla Extract and I happen to have a Penzeys store down the street from me.

My question is does anyone know the vanilla bean to extract ratio?
I've seen 1 teaspoon of extract = 1 vanilla bean.

Anyone have experience?

I've experienced similar results, though after I split, scraped, and chopped them, I soaked them with priming solution in a French Press. In the past, I bought the vanilla beans from Sprouts.

Costco now carries much larger fresh vanilla beans at a cheaper price. With that said, I ended up buying Costco's pure vanilla extract 16oz bottle for around $28. Everything I have read indicates what you wrote...1 teaspoon of extract = 1 vanilla bean. That is what I am planning on using on my next batch that calls for vanilla. I will be brewing that in a few weeks.

Vanilla.JPG

I'll tell you in a few weeks.

I just put a few tsp of Costco's extract in a Chocolate Coconut Stout today and will be kegging in a week or so.

In my experience vanilla extract leaves a off flavor. Not necessarily bad one but a little more woody vanilla than a true vanilla. I have a great deal of success with a vanilla bean tincture. Split scrapped and diced. I actually will set mine on the heater or have it on a heating pad from time to time. The slight heat with the vodka seems to help extraction (all anecdotal evidence). I know this is essentially an extract but with the fresh vanilla bean I get true flavor

Back