Using US-05 for DNEIPA-should I do a starter or just rehydrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Hello there,

I’m going to brew the Tropic Haze DNEIPA soon and I ordered the dry US-05 yeast packet. That’s what I typically use since I never know when I’ll have time to brew with two kiddos!

Typically I just rehydrate the yeast. But I’m worried that won’t be good enough for a double NEIPA. Should I do a starter? Should of I use a different yeast?

Thanks,
Lorne

Assuming its a 5 gallon batch, I would just use 2 rehydrated packets of US-05 instead of one. Then you should be set.

Assuming its a 5 gallon batch, I would just use 2 rehydrated packets of US-05 instead of one. Then you should be set.

Copy that, thank you! I’ll need to run to my brew store to pick up another. That’s why I was asking if I should try a different strand since I’ll be there anyway.

Thanks,
Lorne

My very first beer I brewed was a DIPA and I just pitched one dry packet of US-05. Turned out great. It was probably 1.075ish original gravity.

S-04 is my go to, but I do like me some 1318 in NEIPAs

I used S-04 once on a Trillium-style pale ale and I really liked the results. Very hazy and hop-forward. I have read somewhere that Conan might be a descendant of 1318 but can't seem to find it right now.

Conan is half of the original blend of Ringwood yeasts. Ringwood used to be a mixed strain. One is low flocc the other is high. Together they supposedly optimize the fermentation. One of these days I’m going to do a blend of the two.

Conan is half of the original blend of Ringwood yeasts. Ringwood used to be a mixed strain. One is low flocc the other is high. Together they supposedly optimize the fermentation. One of these days I’m going to do a blend of the two.

Interesting. Not to hijack the original thread, but I've been studying yeasts more and more and trying to figure out the fabled Conan yeast. I was able to harvest some from a can of Heady Topper and one from Focal Banger and I've got a Heady Topper clone dry hopping right now with that harvest in it.

Back