Using up some old grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBaj

Reaction score
I am going to clean out some of my grain that I purchased around this time last year. It has been sealed nicely and kept in a dry cool area of my house. The problem is that I purchased this when I didn't have a grain mill so it is already milled. Seeing as though I would rather try using it than just throwing it away, does anyone have advice as to how I should adjust my recipe to get the most out of this old grain. I am going to do a 10 gallon BIAB and so I was thinking I might mill the grain a second time prior to mashing in the bag. I was also thinking to increase the grain bill slightly and have some dry extract on hand in case I don't get the efficiency as well as I would like. Am I completely wasting my time or is it worth a shot. I really don't have anything to lose right?

Three tests before you use it.
First, open it an smell. If it is stale smelling, dump it out.
Second, taste it. If it tastes old or stale, dump it out.
Third, make a small mash and see if the base malt converts. If it doesn't have a base malt in it you can skip this and go on to brewing with it. You can use a small amount of water heated to the mid 150's and some of the grain. It should turn the water cloudy, then in just a few minutes the wort should clear. If it clears you have conversion.

Back